Oct 21, 2012, 3:57 PM EST
Simeon (Ill.) forward Jabari Parker is on a visit to Michigan State this weekend and, according to reports, he met with the Spartan soccer team Sunday before their match with Wisconsin.
“Coach Izzo and #1 recruit Jabari Parker wishing us luck before our game,” Michigan State junior goalie Bryce Dobbins tweeted Sunday morning.
We typically see high-major recruits, especially No. 1 overall recruits, taking in a football game, but Michigan State was in Ann Arbor this weekend to play Michigan, so plans were likely shifted.
But now his recruitment is getting into full swing, though reports have said that the Chicago star may not sign a letter of intent during the fall signing period and may wait until the spring to do so.
Parker was injured for key parts of the July recruiting period, which forced him to sit out Nike Peach Jam and a chance to match up with another highly ranked prospect, Andrew Wiggins.
At 6-8, 220 pounds, Parker has narrowed his list to five schools—Michigan State, BYU, Duke, Florida, and Stanford—and is in the conversation with Wiggins as the best high school player in the country right now.
He was recently featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated where he was heralded as “the best high school player since LeBron James.” The cover sparked a debate about the validity of the statement, but, regardless of whether he should be compared to James, the team that lands Parker will have a major piece to build toward perhaps a championship team.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 1
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)