Oct 21, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
Simeon (Ill.) forward Jabari Parker is on a visit to Michigan State this weekend and, according to reports, he met with the Spartan soccer team Sunday before their match with Wisconsin.
“Coach Izzo and #1 recruit Jabari Parker wishing us luck before our game,” Michigan State junior goalie Bryce Dobbins tweeted Sunday morning.
We typically see high-major recruits, especially No. 1 overall recruits, taking in a football game, but Michigan State was in Ann Arbor this weekend to play Michigan, so plans were likely shifted.
But now his recruitment is getting into full swing, though reports have said that the Chicago star may not sign a letter of intent during the fall signing period and may wait until the spring to do so.
Parker was injured for key parts of the July recruiting period, which forced him to sit out Nike Peach Jam and a chance to match up with another highly ranked prospect, Andrew Wiggins.
At 6-8, 220 pounds, Parker has narrowed his list to five schools—Michigan State, BYU, Duke, Florida, and Stanford—and is in the conversation with Wiggins as the best high school player in the country right now.
He was recently featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated where he was heralded as “the best high school player since LeBron James.” The cover sparked a debate about the validity of the statement, but, regardless of whether he should be compared to James, the team that lands Parker will have a major piece to build toward perhaps a championship team.
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)