Oct 21, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Texas sophomore Myck Kabongo will practice with the Longhorns as the NCAA continues to investigate his case, involving a look into the nature of his relationship with a professional agent.
According to Texas head coach Rick Barnes, as reported by the Associated Press, Kabongo has not been ruled ineligible by the NCAA and the school’s compliance department is cooperating with the investigation.
”We don’t know anything,” Barnes told the AP. ”We’re going about our business and we’ll do that until we find out what the situation might be, and we’ll just go from there.”
The investigation is looking into Kabongo’s relationship with agent Rich Paul, who also represents NBA star LeBron James and former Texas Longhorns Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph. Paul allegedly called NBA front offices on behalf of Kabongo, which would violate his amateur status, then Kabongo returned to Texas.
”We haven’t thought about it,” Barnes said. ”We’re just talking about what we have to do as a team. We feel we have enough people that we got to do what we’ve got to do.”
During his freshman season, Kabongo averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 assists per game for a team that finished 20-14 and earned a berth in the NCAA tournament.
If he were to be ruled ineligible at the conclusion of this investigation, it could be a major hit for this young Longhorns roster.
”Myck’s worked really hard. He’s worked really hard as a leader, and he brings a lot of energy every day,” Barnes said. ”We’ll just wait and see and we’ll go from there.”
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)