Oct 21, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Texas sophomore Myck Kabongo will practice with the Longhorns as the NCAA continues to investigate his case, involving a look into the nature of his relationship with a professional agent.
According to Texas head coach Rick Barnes, as reported by the Associated Press, Kabongo has not been ruled ineligible by the NCAA and the school’s compliance department is cooperating with the investigation.
”We don’t know anything,” Barnes told the AP. ”We’re going about our business and we’ll do that until we find out what the situation might be, and we’ll just go from there.”
The investigation is looking into Kabongo’s relationship with agent Rich Paul, who also represents NBA star LeBron James and former Texas Longhorns Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph. Paul allegedly called NBA front offices on behalf of Kabongo, which would violate his amateur status, then Kabongo returned to Texas.
”We haven’t thought about it,” Barnes said. ”We’re just talking about what we have to do as a team. We feel we have enough people that we got to do what we’ve got to do.”
During his freshman season, Kabongo averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 assists per game for a team that finished 20-14 and earned a berth in the NCAA tournament.
If he were to be ruled ineligible at the conclusion of this investigation, it could be a major hit for this young Longhorns roster.
”Myck’s worked really hard. He’s worked really hard as a leader, and he brings a lot of energy every day,” Barnes said. ”We’ll just wait and see and we’ll go from there.”
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)