Oct 21, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Just days after 2013 power forward Johnathan Williams III Missouri landed another 2013 power forward, as 6-8 Torren Jones verbally committed to the SEC program.
The news was first reported by Josh Paunil of National Recruiting Spotlight.
Jones, who is Missouri’s fourth 2013 verbal commitment, transferred from Dobson (Mesa, AZ) High to La Lumiere Prep in La Porte, Indiana during the summer and will play for a program that’s produced multiple Division I players.
“I feel like [head] coach [Frank] Haith is a great coach,” Jones told NRS. “He has helped me a lot on and off the court with life and as a man. It’s a great college town and a great atmosphere. I love the college town, it’s a nice landscape. It’s not just about basketball, I feel like I’d love to live at Missouri for four years.”
“I just felt like they’re one of the best coaching staffs and he’s a winning coach,” he continued. “He gets to the [NCAA] tournament and that’s exactly what I want to do.”
Jones is a good athlete, runs the floor well and is a solid defender, but there’s work to be done offensively when it comes to his skill set.
He played with California Supreme during the spring/summer, averaging 6.8 points and 5.8 rebounds per game for the team during the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam in July.
During Nike EYBL pool play Jones’ numbers were better, as he posted averages of 8.3 points and 6.8 rebounds per contest.
Jones joins Williams III and guards Wes Clark and Travis Jorgenson in Missouri’s 2013 class, and it’s a group that can earn minutes with the Tigers losing four seniors after this season.
Forwards Alex Oriakhi and Laurence Bowers and guards Michael Dixon Jr. and Keion Bell will all move on after this season, and with the majority of Missouri’s 2013 returnees being on the perimeter Jones and Williams III are important additions to the program.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)