Oct 21, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Just days after 2013 power forward Johnathan Williams III Missouri landed another 2013 power forward, as 6-8 Torren Jones verbally committed to the SEC program.
The news was first reported by Josh Paunil of National Recruiting Spotlight.
Jones, who is Missouri’s fourth 2013 verbal commitment, transferred from Dobson (Mesa, AZ) High to La Lumiere Prep in La Porte, Indiana during the summer and will play for a program that’s produced multiple Division I players.
“I feel like [head] coach [Frank] Haith is a great coach,” Jones told NRS. “He has helped me a lot on and off the court with life and as a man. It’s a great college town and a great atmosphere. I love the college town, it’s a nice landscape. It’s not just about basketball, I feel like I’d love to live at Missouri for four years.”
“I just felt like they’re one of the best coaching staffs and he’s a winning coach,” he continued. “He gets to the [NCAA] tournament and that’s exactly what I want to do.”
Jones is a good athlete, runs the floor well and is a solid defender, but there’s work to be done offensively when it comes to his skill set.
He played with California Supreme during the spring/summer, averaging 6.8 points and 5.8 rebounds per game for the team during the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam in July.
During Nike EYBL pool play Jones’ numbers were better, as he posted averages of 8.3 points and 6.8 rebounds per contest.
Jones joins Williams III and guards Wes Clark and Travis Jorgenson in Missouri’s 2013 class, and it’s a group that can earn minutes with the Tigers losing four seniors after this season.
Forwards Alex Oriakhi and Laurence Bowers and guards Michael Dixon Jr. and Keion Bell will all move on after this season, and with the majority of Missouri’s 2013 returnees being on the perimeter Jones and Williams III are important additions to the program.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)