Oct 21, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Just days after 2013 power forward Johnathan Williams III Missouri landed another 2013 power forward, as 6-8 Torren Jones verbally committed to the SEC program.
The news was first reported by Josh Paunil of National Recruiting Spotlight.
Jones, who is Missouri’s fourth 2013 verbal commitment, transferred from Dobson (Mesa, AZ) High to La Lumiere Prep in La Porte, Indiana during the summer and will play for a program that’s produced multiple Division I players.
“I feel like [head] coach [Frank] Haith is a great coach,” Jones told NRS. “He has helped me a lot on and off the court with life and as a man. It’s a great college town and a great atmosphere. I love the college town, it’s a nice landscape. It’s not just about basketball, I feel like I’d love to live at Missouri for four years.”
“I just felt like they’re one of the best coaching staffs and he’s a winning coach,” he continued. “He gets to the [NCAA] tournament and that’s exactly what I want to do.”
Jones is a good athlete, runs the floor well and is a solid defender, but there’s work to be done offensively when it comes to his skill set.
He played with California Supreme during the spring/summer, averaging 6.8 points and 5.8 rebounds per game for the team during the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam in July.
During Nike EYBL pool play Jones’ numbers were better, as he posted averages of 8.3 points and 6.8 rebounds per contest.
Jones joins Williams III and guards Wes Clark and Travis Jorgenson in Missouri’s 2013 class, and it’s a group that can earn minutes with the Tigers losing four seniors after this season.
Forwards Alex Oriakhi and Laurence Bowers and guards Michael Dixon Jr. and Keion Bell will all move on after this season, and with the majority of Missouri’s 2013 returnees being on the perimeter Jones and Williams III are important additions to the program.
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)