Oct 22, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
….And honestly, he’s got a pretty good case for it.
The Murray State senior point guard told USAToday’s Scott Gleeson that he believes he’s the best, based on a lot of things. One of those being that he’s “got a lot of wins under [his] belt.”
“I don’t like to toot my own horn, but honestly, I do feel that way, I think I’m the best. Physically, I know I’m stronger than most point guards. I’ve been around longer than most, I don’t back down from nobody. It’d be hard for me to say I’m not the best point guard in the country.”
The Biloxi, Miss. native came back after being projected as a second-round pick in the 2012 NBA Draft — an incredibly smart move — and has a lot to live up to after a 31-win season with the Racers last season, a team record.
Not that he’s not up to it, CBSSports.com ranks Canaan as the top point guard in their Top 50 list.
The crazy thing about Murray State — and the article says as much — is that Canaan is currently one of only two guys for Murray State that return as impact players. Gone are Jewuan Long, Ivan Aska and Dante Poole, with only forward Ed Daniel coming back. As of now, the jury is still out on the return of guard Zay Jackson after he basically ran two people over this summer. In fairness, seniors Latreze Mushatt, Stacey Wilson and Brandon Garrett return. The Trio all played in at least 32 of 33 games, with Mushatt starting nine.
Coach Steve Prohm has a definite chemistry with his roster. But will that, combined with the return of Canaan and Daniel, be able to be enough with a retooled roster that includes six freshman?
Well, according to Canaan, they’ve got the best player in the nation. So that’s a start.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)