Oct 22, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
….And honestly, he’s got a pretty good case for it.
The Murray State senior point guard told USAToday’s Scott Gleeson that he believes he’s the best, based on a lot of things. One of those being that he’s “got a lot of wins under [his] belt.”
“I don’t like to toot my own horn, but honestly, I do feel that way, I think I’m the best. Physically, I know I’m stronger than most point guards. I’ve been around longer than most, I don’t back down from nobody. It’d be hard for me to say I’m not the best point guard in the country.”
The Biloxi, Miss. native came back after being projected as a second-round pick in the 2012 NBA Draft — an incredibly smart move — and has a lot to live up to after a 31-win season with the Racers last season, a team record.
Not that he’s not up to it, CBSSports.com ranks Canaan as the top point guard in their Top 50 list.
The crazy thing about Murray State — and the article says as much — is that Canaan is currently one of only two guys for Murray State that return as impact players. Gone are Jewuan Long, Ivan Aska and Dante Poole, with only forward Ed Daniel coming back. As of now, the jury is still out on the return of guard Zay Jackson after he basically ran two people over this summer. In fairness, seniors Latreze Mushatt, Stacey Wilson and Brandon Garrett return. The Trio all played in at least 32 of 33 games, with Mushatt starting nine.
Coach Steve Prohm has a definite chemistry with his roster. But will that, combined with the return of Canaan and Daniel, be able to be enough with a retooled roster that includes six freshman?
Well, according to Canaan, they’ve got the best player in the nation. So that’s a start.
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 1
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 2
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 4
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 22
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 9
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (85)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (22)