Oct 22, 2012, 7:44 PM EDT
Apparently, Miami’s big man has been getting up some shots in the offseason for Jim Larranaga’s Hurricane squad.
The info comes from this story by The Sporting News’ Ryan Fagan who wrote about how Larranaga’s message of continuity has spread, and it may be one of the keys that determines where Miami finishes this season in the ACC.
A large portion of that burden falls on Johnson, a wide body who plays right at the rim and has apparently become adept at hitting both the right-handed and left-handed hook shot, Fagan writes.
But the most interesting part of the article is what comes at the end. Apparently, Johnson, along with the rest of the team, has taken part in a drill where they shoot as many threes as possible in five minutes. Hitting less than 40 means that player isn’t allowed to shoot them in the game, 40-50 means a player is limited in the amount they can take and 50 or more splash-downs means he gets the all-clear to shoot. Johnson has routinely been in the 40s and hit a personal-best 59 last week. Johnson was just 4-11 from deep last season.
Will he get to hoist it like Jimmer?
The Hurricanes will need someone to, even if it is Johnson. Gone is leading three-point shooter Malcolm Grant (68 makes last season). Though, Trey McKinney Jones (40 makes) and Rion Brown (41 makes) return, along with Shane Larkin’s 32 three’s from last season.
So maybe it’s not a necessity that Johnson develop a stroke from the outside. But hey, the world needs more big-guy three’s. They’re the college basketball equivalent to fat-guy touchdowns in football.
- Report: Devonta Pollard no longer enrolled at Alabama 0
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead