Oct 22, 2012, 7:44 PM EST
Apparently, Miami’s big man has been getting up some shots in the offseason for Jim Larranaga’s Hurricane squad.
The info comes from this story by The Sporting News’ Ryan Fagan who wrote about how Larranaga’s message of continuity has spread, and it may be one of the keys that determines where Miami finishes this season in the ACC.
A large portion of that burden falls on Johnson, a wide body who plays right at the rim and has apparently become adept at hitting both the right-handed and left-handed hook shot, Fagan writes.
But the most interesting part of the article is what comes at the end. Apparently, Johnson, along with the rest of the team, has taken part in a drill where they shoot as many threes as possible in five minutes. Hitting less than 40 means that player isn’t allowed to shoot them in the game, 40-50 means a player is limited in the amount they can take and 50 or more splash-downs means he gets the all-clear to shoot. Johnson has routinely been in the 40s and hit a personal-best 59 last week. Johnson was just 4-11 from deep last season.
Will he get to hoist it like Jimmer?
The Hurricanes will need someone to, even if it is Johnson. Gone is leading three-point shooter Malcolm Grant (68 makes last season). Though, Trey McKinney Jones (40 makes) and Rion Brown (41 makes) return, along with Shane Larkin’s 32 three’s from last season.
So maybe it’s not a necessity that Johnson develop a stroke from the outside. But hey, the world needs more big-guy three’s. They’re the college basketball equivalent to fat-guy touchdowns in football.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)