Oct 23, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Seton Hall, already thin at point guard with the graduation of Jordan Theodore, got more bad news Monday when news broke that sophomore Aaron Cosby would be out 4-6 weeks with a knee injury.
Cosby reportedly sprained the PCL in his right knee during practice but will be able to avoid surgery, according to Brendan Prunty of the Newark Star-Ledger.
In his freshman season, Cosby averaged 7.9 points and 1.4 assists in just under 30 minutes per game.
Seton Hall’s point guard situation seemed settled when former Texas guard Sterling Gibbs announced his intention to transfer and play for Pirates’ coach Kevin Willard, but the NCAA denied his hardship waiver and he now must sit out the 2012-13 season.
Previous option Sean Grennan transferred to Fairfield after his freshman season and unproven Connecticut native Freddie Wilson played sparingly in 2011-12.
All of that considered and in hand with Crosby’s injury, it now leaves Seton Hall with Tom Maayan, a native of Israel, or Wilson as the team’s starting point guard when it opens the season against Missouri-Kansas City on Nov. 9.
Willard begins his third season with the Pirates with a team picked to finish 14th out of 15 teams in the Big East coaches poll, released last week.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)