Oct 23, 2012, 10:31 AM EST
Seton Hall, already thin at point guard with the graduation of Jordan Theodore, got more bad news Monday when news broke that sophomore Aaron Cosby would be out 4-6 weeks with a knee injury.
Cosby reportedly sprained the PCL in his right knee during practice but will be able to avoid surgery, according to Brendan Prunty of the Newark Star-Ledger.
In his freshman season, Cosby averaged 7.9 points and 1.4 assists in just under 30 minutes per game.
Seton Hall’s point guard situation seemed settled when former Texas guard Sterling Gibbs announced his intention to transfer and play for Pirates’ coach Kevin Willard, but the NCAA denied his hardship waiver and he now must sit out the 2012-13 season.
Previous option Sean Grennan transferred to Fairfield after his freshman season and unproven Connecticut native Freddie Wilson played sparingly in 2011-12.
All of that considered and in hand with Crosby’s injury, it now leaves Seton Hall with Tom Maayan, a native of Israel, or Wilson as the team’s starting point guard when it opens the season against Missouri-Kansas City on Nov. 9.
Willard begins his third season with the Pirates with a team picked to finish 14th out of 15 teams in the Big East coaches poll, released last week.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 11
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)