Oct 23, 2012, 10:31 AM EST
Seton Hall, already thin at point guard with the graduation of Jordan Theodore, got more bad news Monday when news broke that sophomore Aaron Cosby would be out 4-6 weeks with a knee injury.
Cosby reportedly sprained the PCL in his right knee during practice but will be able to avoid surgery, according to Brendan Prunty of the Newark Star-Ledger.
In his freshman season, Cosby averaged 7.9 points and 1.4 assists in just under 30 minutes per game.
Seton Hall’s point guard situation seemed settled when former Texas guard Sterling Gibbs announced his intention to transfer and play for Pirates’ coach Kevin Willard, but the NCAA denied his hardship waiver and he now must sit out the 2012-13 season.
Previous option Sean Grennan transferred to Fairfield after his freshman season and unproven Connecticut native Freddie Wilson played sparingly in 2011-12.
All of that considered and in hand with Crosby’s injury, it now leaves Seton Hall with Tom Maayan, a native of Israel, or Wilson as the team’s starting point guard when it opens the season against Missouri-Kansas City on Nov. 9.
Willard begins his third season with the Pirates with a team picked to finish 14th out of 15 teams in the Big East coaches poll, released last week.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)