Oct 23, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Seton Hall, already thin at point guard with the graduation of Jordan Theodore, got more bad news Monday when news broke that sophomore Aaron Cosby would be out 4-6 weeks with a knee injury.
Cosby reportedly sprained the PCL in his right knee during practice but will be able to avoid surgery, according to Brendan Prunty of the Newark Star-Ledger.
In his freshman season, Cosby averaged 7.9 points and 1.4 assists in just under 30 minutes per game.
Seton Hall’s point guard situation seemed settled when former Texas guard Sterling Gibbs announced his intention to transfer and play for Pirates’ coach Kevin Willard, but the NCAA denied his hardship waiver and he now must sit out the 2012-13 season.
Previous option Sean Grennan transferred to Fairfield after his freshman season and unproven Connecticut native Freddie Wilson played sparingly in 2011-12.
All of that considered and in hand with Crosby’s injury, it now leaves Seton Hall with Tom Maayan, a native of Israel, or Wilson as the team’s starting point guard when it opens the season against Missouri-Kansas City on Nov. 9.
Willard begins his third season with the Pirates with a team picked to finish 14th out of 15 teams in the Big East coaches poll, released last week.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)