Oct 23, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Remember Roy Williams’ rant from last week?
When he skewered the NCAA for not allowing his team to leave a couple hours early for a trip to play at Long Beach State and in the Maui Invitational?
He had a point. NCAA rules mandate that a team cannot leave more than 48 hours before a road game, and since UNC plays LBSU at 11 p.m. on a Friday night, they weren’t technically allowed to leave until 11 p.m. Wednesday night. This would have meant that UNC would have had to either pay $120,000 to charter a flight out west or fly commercially on Thursday morning for a Friday night game all because of an NCAA rule that forced them to stay on campus for six hours in which no classes were being held.
It’s not really all that big of a deal for the Tar Heels to fly Thursday morning, but the point was that it was a dumb ruling.
When Williams popped off about it, UNC had already had their appeal granted:
But UNC associate athletics director Clint Gwaltney, who now is in charge of the team’s scheduling, said the Tar Heels were actually granted the NCAA waiver last week, before Williams’ comments.
To be fair, the school and Williams didn’t know about the ruling yet, but it’s still pretty funny to think about.
Anyway, long story short, UNC will be allowed to leave six hours early.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)