Oct 23, 2012, 4:45 PM EST
Remember Roy Williams’ rant from last week?
When he skewered the NCAA for not allowing his team to leave a couple hours early for a trip to play at Long Beach State and in the Maui Invitational?
He had a point. NCAA rules mandate that a team cannot leave more than 48 hours before a road game, and since UNC plays LBSU at 11 p.m. on a Friday night, they weren’t technically allowed to leave until 11 p.m. Wednesday night. This would have meant that UNC would have had to either pay $120,000 to charter a flight out west or fly commercially on Thursday morning for a Friday night game all because of an NCAA rule that forced them to stay on campus for six hours in which no classes were being held.
It’s not really all that big of a deal for the Tar Heels to fly Thursday morning, but the point was that it was a dumb ruling.
When Williams popped off about it, UNC had already had their appeal granted:
But UNC associate athletics director Clint Gwaltney, who now is in charge of the team’s scheduling, said the Tar Heels were actually granted the NCAA waiver last week, before Williams’ comments.
To be fair, the school and Williams didn’t know about the ruling yet, but it’s still pretty funny to think about.
Anyway, long story short, UNC will be allowed to leave six hours early.
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)