Oct 23, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Remember Roy Williams’ rant from last week?
When he skewered the NCAA for not allowing his team to leave a couple hours early for a trip to play at Long Beach State and in the Maui Invitational?
He had a point. NCAA rules mandate that a team cannot leave more than 48 hours before a road game, and since UNC plays LBSU at 11 p.m. on a Friday night, they weren’t technically allowed to leave until 11 p.m. Wednesday night. This would have meant that UNC would have had to either pay $120,000 to charter a flight out west or fly commercially on Thursday morning for a Friday night game all because of an NCAA rule that forced them to stay on campus for six hours in which no classes were being held.
It’s not really all that big of a deal for the Tar Heels to fly Thursday morning, but the point was that it was a dumb ruling.
When Williams popped off about it, UNC had already had their appeal granted:
But UNC associate athletics director Clint Gwaltney, who now is in charge of the team’s scheduling, said the Tar Heels were actually granted the NCAA waiver last week, before Williams’ comments.
To be fair, the school and Williams didn’t know about the ruling yet, but it’s still pretty funny to think about.
Anyway, long story short, UNC will be allowed to leave six hours early.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 36
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)