Oct 24, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
DePaul University has extended the contract of athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto through the 2016-17 academic year, the school announced Tuesday.
“Jean Lenti Ponsetto is among the most respected athletics directors in the United States,” DePaul President Fr. Dennis H. Holtschneider said in a statement.
“The NCAA, the BIG EAST and other athletic conferences turn to her constantly for advice and counsel. ESPN, CBS and other networks turn to her to understand developments in collegiate athletics and recently she received the Trailblazer Award by NACWAA from her peers.”
The extension covers five years, adding to the 10 years that she has already been at the university. During that time period, she has raised over $13 million and created more than 25 endowed scholarships.
As for the DePaul men’s basketball program, this extension comes at a crucial time. Not only in the Big East in key television negotiations, but the men’s basketball team is likely looking for a new venue to play its home games.
The Blue Demons currently play the majority of their games at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., but concerns over attendance and student engagement could spur a move.
A recent report cited Chicago’s United Center as a possible new home.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)