Oct 24, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
DePaul University has extended the contract of athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto through the 2016-17 academic year, the school announced Tuesday.
“Jean Lenti Ponsetto is among the most respected athletics directors in the United States,” DePaul President Fr. Dennis H. Holtschneider said in a statement.
“The NCAA, the BIG EAST and other athletic conferences turn to her constantly for advice and counsel. ESPN, CBS and other networks turn to her to understand developments in collegiate athletics and recently she received the Trailblazer Award by NACWAA from her peers.”
The extension covers five years, adding to the 10 years that she has already been at the university. During that time period, she has raised over $13 million and created more than 25 endowed scholarships.
As for the DePaul men’s basketball program, this extension comes at a crucial time. Not only in the Big East in key television negotiations, but the men’s basketball team is likely looking for a new venue to play its home games.
The Blue Demons currently play the majority of their games at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., but concerns over attendance and student engagement could spur a move.
A recent report cited Chicago’s United Center as a possible new home.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)