Oct 24, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
DePaul University has extended the contract of athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto through the 2016-17 academic year, the school announced Tuesday.
“Jean Lenti Ponsetto is among the most respected athletics directors in the United States,” DePaul President Fr. Dennis H. Holtschneider said in a statement.
“The NCAA, the BIG EAST and other athletic conferences turn to her constantly for advice and counsel. ESPN, CBS and other networks turn to her to understand developments in collegiate athletics and recently she received the Trailblazer Award by NACWAA from her peers.”
The extension covers five years, adding to the 10 years that she has already been at the university. During that time period, she has raised over $13 million and created more than 25 endowed scholarships.
As for the DePaul men’s basketball program, this extension comes at a crucial time. Not only in the Big East in key television negotiations, but the men’s basketball team is likely looking for a new venue to play its home games.
The Blue Demons currently play the majority of their games at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., but concerns over attendance and student engagement could spur a move.
A recent report cited Chicago’s United Center as a possible new home.
- Texas hangs on to beat No. 14 North Carolina in Chapel Hill 1
- The Chase for 180: Nic Moore’s hot start 0
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season 6
- Memphis loss shouldn’t feed narrative about Josh Pastner, big games 0
- Casey Prather’s star turn a boon for Florida 1
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (8)
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season (6)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)