Oct 24, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
DePaul University has extended the contract of athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto through the 2016-17 academic year, the school announced Tuesday.
“Jean Lenti Ponsetto is among the most respected athletics directors in the United States,” DePaul President Fr. Dennis H. Holtschneider said in a statement.
“The NCAA, the BIG EAST and other athletic conferences turn to her constantly for advice and counsel. ESPN, CBS and other networks turn to her to understand developments in collegiate athletics and recently she received the Trailblazer Award by NACWAA from her peers.”
The extension covers five years, adding to the 10 years that she has already been at the university. During that time period, she has raised over $13 million and created more than 25 endowed scholarships.
As for the DePaul men’s basketball program, this extension comes at a crucial time. Not only in the Big East in key television negotiations, but the men’s basketball team is likely looking for a new venue to play its home games.
The Blue Demons currently play the majority of their games at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., but concerns over attendance and student engagement could spur a move.
A recent report cited Chicago’s United Center as a possible new home.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)