Oct 24, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
X-rays came back negative on Wednesday for Memphis guard Antonio Barton, one day after the junior guard injured his left hand in practice, the Commercial Appeal is reporting.
Barton, who averaged 6.6 points and 2.3 rebounds per game last season, was feared to have broken the hand, but reports say Memphis coach Josh Pastner has deemed it only a sprain and will keep Barton out of practice for a week.
The injury bug has bitten the Tigers lately, with three other players—Adonis Thomas, D.J. Stephens, and Hippolyte Tsafack—reportedly on the sidelines with various injuries.
Memphis is coming off a season in which they finished 26-9 and lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Saint Louis.
Pastner scored a major recruiting victory in his 2012 class by securing Shaq Goodwin, a 6-8, 245-pound forward from Decatur, Ga.
The Tigers will open their season on Nov. 12 against North Florida.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)