Oct 24, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
X-rays came back negative on Wednesday for Memphis guard Antonio Barton, one day after the junior guard injured his left hand in practice, the Commercial Appeal is reporting.
Barton, who averaged 6.6 points and 2.3 rebounds per game last season, was feared to have broken the hand, but reports say Memphis coach Josh Pastner has deemed it only a sprain and will keep Barton out of practice for a week.
The injury bug has bitten the Tigers lately, with three other players—Adonis Thomas, D.J. Stephens, and Hippolyte Tsafack—reportedly on the sidelines with various injuries.
Memphis is coming off a season in which they finished 26-9 and lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Saint Louis.
Pastner scored a major recruiting victory in his 2012 class by securing Shaq Goodwin, a 6-8, 245-pound forward from Decatur, Ga.
The Tigers will open their season on Nov. 12 against North Florida.
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead