Oct 24, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
X-rays came back negative on Wednesday for Memphis guard Antonio Barton, one day after the junior guard injured his left hand in practice, the Commercial Appeal is reporting.
Barton, who averaged 6.6 points and 2.3 rebounds per game last season, was feared to have broken the hand, but reports say Memphis coach Josh Pastner has deemed it only a sprain and will keep Barton out of practice for a week.
The injury bug has bitten the Tigers lately, with three other players—Adonis Thomas, D.J. Stephens, and Hippolyte Tsafack—reportedly on the sidelines with various injuries.
Memphis is coming off a season in which they finished 26-9 and lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Saint Louis.
Pastner scored a major recruiting victory in his 2012 class by securing Shaq Goodwin, a 6-8, 245-pound forward from Decatur, Ga.
The Tigers will open their season on Nov. 12 against North Florida.
- Latest mixtape for Dennis Smith Jr. shows how talented he is (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1