Oct 24, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
X-rays came back negative on Wednesday for Memphis guard Antonio Barton, one day after the junior guard injured his left hand in practice, the Commercial Appeal is reporting.
Barton, who averaged 6.6 points and 2.3 rebounds per game last season, was feared to have broken the hand, but reports say Memphis coach Josh Pastner has deemed it only a sprain and will keep Barton out of practice for a week.
The injury bug has bitten the Tigers lately, with three other players—Adonis Thomas, D.J. Stephens, and Hippolyte Tsafack—reportedly on the sidelines with various injuries.
Memphis is coming off a season in which they finished 26-9 and lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Saint Louis.
Pastner scored a major recruiting victory in his 2012 class by securing Shaq Goodwin, a 6-8, 245-pound forward from Decatur, Ga.
The Tigers will open their season on Nov. 12 against North Florida.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)