Oct 24, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
X-rays came back negative on Wednesday for Memphis guard Antonio Barton, one day after the junior guard injured his left hand in practice, the Commercial Appeal is reporting.
Barton, who averaged 6.6 points and 2.3 rebounds per game last season, was feared to have broken the hand, but reports say Memphis coach Josh Pastner has deemed it only a sprain and will keep Barton out of practice for a week.
The injury bug has bitten the Tigers lately, with three other players—Adonis Thomas, D.J. Stephens, and Hippolyte Tsafack—reportedly on the sidelines with various injuries.
Memphis is coming off a season in which they finished 26-9 and lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Saint Louis.
Pastner scored a major recruiting victory in his 2012 class by securing Shaq Goodwin, a 6-8, 245-pound forward from Decatur, Ga.
The Tigers will open their season on Nov. 12 against North Florida.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)