Oct 24, 2012, 6:20 PM EST
Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin had a bit of unfortunate news for local media that attended practice on Wednesday afternoon.
“Jeronne (Maymon) had a minor setback so we probably won’t have him at the start of the season,” Martin said.
Maymon underwent microscopic knee surgery after last season, playing sparingly on the team’s trip to Italy.
If you don’t know, is a preseason second team all-SEC pick after averaging 12.7 points and 8.1 boards last season. He, along with Jarnell Stokes, were supposed to join forces and provide Tennessee with a front court that will allow the Vols to compete with Kentucky, Missouri and Florida at the to of the SEC.
But Maymon hasn’t been practicing, only participating in stretching, conditioning and shooting drills. According to Martin, Maymon’s “obviously not lost for the season” but his conditioning’s not “at the level where he could play a game right now”.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 2
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)