Oct 24, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Shabazz Muhammad, one of the nation’s elite freshmen and the kid projected to go No. 1 in the 2013 Draft by DraftExpress.com, injured his right shoulder in practice on Wednesday.
The extent of the injury in unknown at this point. He had an MRI on Wednesday and the results were expected in by Thursday morning. If the injury is serious, this is quite obviously a massive blow to the Bruins.
“It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary,” Howland told Adam Zagoria. “He got hit. He was going up and Jordan Adams whacked the ball coming down and hit his arm. Sometimes you could have a shoulder injury and you could have your arm pulled back. It wasn’t anything like that. It’s his right shoulder, not his shooting shoulder. It won’t be officially read until [Thursday]. The person who reads this is our person that I totally have confidence in. He will read this in the morning.”
Muhammad still hasn’t been cleared to play by the NCAA, however. Neither has the other elite freshman in UCLA’s class, Kyle Anderson.
It would be premature to react to any news tonight. Check back in the morning and we’ll have an update for you once UCLA announces the extent of the damage to the shoulder.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)