Oct 24, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
Shabazz Muhammad, one of the nation’s elite freshmen and the kid projected to go No. 1 in the 2013 Draft by DraftExpress.com, injured his right shoulder in practice on Wednesday.
The extent of the injury in unknown at this point. He had an MRI on Wednesday and the results were expected in by Thursday morning. If the injury is serious, this is quite obviously a massive blow to the Bruins.
“It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary,” Howland told Adam Zagoria. “He got hit. He was going up and Jordan Adams whacked the ball coming down and hit his arm. Sometimes you could have a shoulder injury and you could have your arm pulled back. It wasn’t anything like that. It’s his right shoulder, not his shooting shoulder. It won’t be officially read until [Thursday]. The person who reads this is our person that I totally have confidence in. He will read this in the morning.”
Muhammad still hasn’t been cleared to play by the NCAA, however. Neither has the other elite freshman in UCLA’s class, Kyle Anderson.
It would be premature to react to any news tonight. Check back in the morning and we’ll have an update for you once UCLA announces the extent of the damage to the shoulder.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)