Oct 24, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
Shabazz Muhammad, one of the nation’s elite freshmen and the kid projected to go No. 1 in the 2013 Draft by DraftExpress.com, injured his right shoulder in practice on Wednesday.
The extent of the injury in unknown at this point. He had an MRI on Wednesday and the results were expected in by Thursday morning. If the injury is serious, this is quite obviously a massive blow to the Bruins.
“It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary,” Howland told Adam Zagoria. “He got hit. He was going up and Jordan Adams whacked the ball coming down and hit his arm. Sometimes you could have a shoulder injury and you could have your arm pulled back. It wasn’t anything like that. It’s his right shoulder, not his shooting shoulder. It won’t be officially read until [Thursday]. The person who reads this is our person that I totally have confidence in. He will read this in the morning.”
Muhammad still hasn’t been cleared to play by the NCAA, however. Neither has the other elite freshman in UCLA’s class, Kyle Anderson.
It would be premature to react to any news tonight. Check back in the morning and we’ll have an update for you once UCLA announces the extent of the damage to the shoulder.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)