Oct 24, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Shabazz Muhammad, one of the nation’s elite freshmen and the kid projected to go No. 1 in the 2013 Draft by DraftExpress.com, injured his right shoulder in practice on Wednesday.
The extent of the injury in unknown at this point. He had an MRI on Wednesday and the results were expected in by Thursday morning. If the injury is serious, this is quite obviously a massive blow to the Bruins.
“It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary,” Howland told Adam Zagoria. “He got hit. He was going up and Jordan Adams whacked the ball coming down and hit his arm. Sometimes you could have a shoulder injury and you could have your arm pulled back. It wasn’t anything like that. It’s his right shoulder, not his shooting shoulder. It won’t be officially read until [Thursday]. The person who reads this is our person that I totally have confidence in. He will read this in the morning.”
Muhammad still hasn’t been cleared to play by the NCAA, however. Neither has the other elite freshman in UCLA’s class, Kyle Anderson.
It would be premature to react to any news tonight. Check back in the morning and we’ll have an update for you once UCLA announces the extent of the damage to the shoulder.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)