Oct 24, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
UCLA junior David Wear could return to practice as early as Monday after spraining his right ankle on Sunday.
X-rays on his ankle were negative, leading a team spokesman to remain “hopeful Wear will be ready by [Monday],” according to the Associated Press.
Wear returns to the Bruins for the 2012-13 season after averaging 10.2 points and 6.3 rebounds per game last season as a sophomore. His best game of the season came in a February win over USC when he scored 16 points and grabbed 13 rebounds.
Once Wear’s injury situation is cleared up, it will return the focus to another pressing issue within the program: the eligibility of freshmen Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson.
Both are still waiting for initial eligibility rulings from the NCAA and have entered the 40-day window that allows them to practice with the team.
If one or both of those star freshman are ruled ineligible, it would likely hurt the Bruins’ high expectations for the season.
Muhammad, the No. 1 overall player in the Class of 2012, is an elite scorer and considered to be a one-and-done player for the Bruins, while Anderson is a high-level distributor who can also create his own shot.
UCLA opens its season on Nov. 9 against Indiana State.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)