Oct 25, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Indiana, in the eyes of many the preseason favorite to win the national title, began practice with a team that could go two-deep at each position on the floor.
But if there’s one thing that can change depth in a hurry it’s injuries, and the Hoosiers lost one of their players on Wednesday as it was reported by Zach Osterman of Inside Indiana that senior forward Derek Elston tore his meniscus in practice.
According to reports Elston could be out up to two months, meaning that he would miss much of Indiana’s non-conference slate if it took the full two months to heal.
Elston averaged 12.3 minutes, 4.2 points and 2.4 rebounds per game for the Hoosiers last season, and was expected to factor into the front court rotation entering the 2012-13 season.
Elston is one of just three upperclassmen in the front court for the Hoosiers, and his absence makes the Hoosiers a younger group in the paint.
Senior Christian Watford and sophomore Cody Zeller will still lead the way; that much won’t change. The question is how head coach Tom Crean will juggle the rotation when in need of minutes inside.
The silver lining in this cloud is that the injury occurred at this point in the season, which means that Elston will be back in time for Big Ten play. Also, the Hoosiers can use this time to give some other players more minutes during the non-conference portion of their schedule.
Indiana opens their regular season on November 9 against Bryant.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)