Oct 25, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Indiana, in the eyes of many the preseason favorite to win the national title, began practice with a team that could go two-deep at each position on the floor.
But if there’s one thing that can change depth in a hurry it’s injuries, and the Hoosiers lost one of their players on Wednesday as it was reported by Zach Osterman of Inside Indiana that senior forward Derek Elston tore his meniscus in practice.
According to reports Elston could be out up to two months, meaning that he would miss much of Indiana’s non-conference slate if it took the full two months to heal.
Elston averaged 12.3 minutes, 4.2 points and 2.4 rebounds per game for the Hoosiers last season, and was expected to factor into the front court rotation entering the 2012-13 season.
Elston is one of just three upperclassmen in the front court for the Hoosiers, and his absence makes the Hoosiers a younger group in the paint.
Senior Christian Watford and sophomore Cody Zeller will still lead the way; that much won’t change. The question is how head coach Tom Crean will juggle the rotation when in need of minutes inside.
The silver lining in this cloud is that the injury occurred at this point in the season, which means that Elston will be back in time for Big Ten play. Also, the Hoosiers can use this time to give some other players more minutes during the non-conference portion of their schedule.
Indiana opens their regular season on November 9 against Bryant.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)