Oct 25, 2012, 12:08 AM EST
Kentucky hosted their Blue & White scrimmage on Wednesday evening, giving Big Blue Nation their first opportunity to see the newest crop of freshmen play.
And as is usually the case in scrimmages like this, the final numbers don’t mean all that much, but we’ll pass them along anyway. Archie Griffin had 32 points, Alex Poythress finished with 25 and Willie Cauley-Stein finished with 14 points and 12 boards.
The most noteworthy piece of information to come out of this game was that Nerlens Noel was slowed with a sore back. Nagging injuries to star players are never, ever a good thing, so it’s a bit worrisome that something is already bothering Noel less than two weeks into practice.
But, again, a sore back isn’t quite the same as a sprained ankle or separated shoulder.
I’ll tell you who did learn something on Wednesday night: Cauley-Stein. After taking the internets by storm with a posterization of Nerlens Noel at Big Blue Madness, Cauley-Stein tried to take a charge on Poythress and, well, it didn’t turn out too well:
Willie, buddy, you’re seven feet tall. You weren’t recruited to Kentucky to take charges. You’re not going to get attention from NBA scouts for getting your feet outside the charge circle. It’s a scrimmage. At least try to block the shot.
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 1
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 0
- Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall sues school over Mike Rice’s actions 2
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 0
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)