Oct 25, 2012, 12:08 AM EDT
Kentucky hosted their Blue & White scrimmage on Wednesday evening, giving Big Blue Nation their first opportunity to see the newest crop of freshmen play.
And as is usually the case in scrimmages like this, the final numbers don’t mean all that much, but we’ll pass them along anyway. Archie Griffin had 32 points, Alex Poythress finished with 25 and Willie Cauley-Stein finished with 14 points and 12 boards.
The most noteworthy piece of information to come out of this game was that Nerlens Noel was slowed with a sore back. Nagging injuries to star players are never, ever a good thing, so it’s a bit worrisome that something is already bothering Noel less than two weeks into practice.
But, again, a sore back isn’t quite the same as a sprained ankle or separated shoulder.
I’ll tell you who did learn something on Wednesday night: Cauley-Stein. After taking the internets by storm with a posterization of Nerlens Noel at Big Blue Madness, Cauley-Stein tried to take a charge on Poythress and, well, it didn’t turn out too well:
Willie, buddy, you’re seven feet tall. You weren’t recruited to Kentucky to take charges. You’re not going to get attention from NBA scouts for getting your feet outside the charge circle. It’s a scrimmage. At least try to block the shot.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)