Oct 25, 2012, 12:08 AM EDT
Kentucky hosted their Blue & White scrimmage on Wednesday evening, giving Big Blue Nation their first opportunity to see the newest crop of freshmen play.
And as is usually the case in scrimmages like this, the final numbers don’t mean all that much, but we’ll pass them along anyway. Archie Griffin had 32 points, Alex Poythress finished with 25 and Willie Cauley-Stein finished with 14 points and 12 boards.
The most noteworthy piece of information to come out of this game was that Nerlens Noel was slowed with a sore back. Nagging injuries to star players are never, ever a good thing, so it’s a bit worrisome that something is already bothering Noel less than two weeks into practice.
But, again, a sore back isn’t quite the same as a sprained ankle or separated shoulder.
I’ll tell you who did learn something on Wednesday night: Cauley-Stein. After taking the internets by storm with a posterization of Nerlens Noel at Big Blue Madness, Cauley-Stein tried to take a charge on Poythress and, well, it didn’t turn out too well:
Willie, buddy, you’re seven feet tall. You weren’t recruited to Kentucky to take charges. You’re not going to get attention from NBA scouts for getting your feet outside the charge circle. It’s a scrimmage. At least try to block the shot.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Len Bias among inductees in Maryland’s 2014 Athletics Hall of Fame class (2)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)