Oct 25, 2012, 12:08 AM EDT
Kentucky hosted their Blue & White scrimmage on Wednesday evening, giving Big Blue Nation their first opportunity to see the newest crop of freshmen play.
And as is usually the case in scrimmages like this, the final numbers don’t mean all that much, but we’ll pass them along anyway. Archie Griffin had 32 points, Alex Poythress finished with 25 and Willie Cauley-Stein finished with 14 points and 12 boards.
The most noteworthy piece of information to come out of this game was that Nerlens Noel was slowed with a sore back. Nagging injuries to star players are never, ever a good thing, so it’s a bit worrisome that something is already bothering Noel less than two weeks into practice.
But, again, a sore back isn’t quite the same as a sprained ankle or separated shoulder.
I’ll tell you who did learn something on Wednesday night: Cauley-Stein. After taking the internets by storm with a posterization of Nerlens Noel at Big Blue Madness, Cauley-Stein tried to take a charge on Poythress and, well, it didn’t turn out too well:
Willie, buddy, you’re seven feet tall. You weren’t recruited to Kentucky to take charges. You’re not going to get attention from NBA scouts for getting your feet outside the charge circle. It’s a scrimmage. At least try to block the shot.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)