Oct 25, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT
Mike Anderson already has a pretty talented team in his second season in Fayetteville, with sophomore guard B.J. Young leading the way.
And the possible addition of Houston transfer Alandise Harris could have made the Razorbacks a even safer bet to return to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008.
But the school received some bad news, as it was reported that the NCAA denied the Little Rock native’s request for an immediate eligibility waiver.
According to Charles Bahn of ArkansasSports360, Anderson made the announcement at a speaking engagement on Tuesday.
Harris averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds per game at Houston last season, and had he been eligible to play this season Harris would have given Arkansas a nice boost in the front court.
Marshawn Powell returns after playing just two games last season due to a knee injury, and he’ll obviously be the leader in the paint for the Hogs.
Hunter Mickelson averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds per game last season, and newcomers Coty Clarke and Jacorey Williams will also be needed in 2012-13.
Had Harris been declared eligible he would have given Arkansas a much-needed boost in depth, and that’s something they needed inside.
Arkansas will have to make up for its lack of size by ramping up the “40 Minutes of Hell” if they’re to make good on the media’s prediction that they’ll finish fifth in the SEC.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)