Oct 25, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT
Mike Anderson already has a pretty talented team in his second season in Fayetteville, with sophomore guard B.J. Young leading the way.
And the possible addition of Houston transfer Alandise Harris could have made the Razorbacks a even safer bet to return to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008.
But the school received some bad news, as it was reported that the NCAA denied the Little Rock native’s request for an immediate eligibility waiver.
According to Charles Bahn of ArkansasSports360, Anderson made the announcement at a speaking engagement on Tuesday.
Harris averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds per game at Houston last season, and had he been eligible to play this season Harris would have given Arkansas a nice boost in the front court.
Marshawn Powell returns after playing just two games last season due to a knee injury, and he’ll obviously be the leader in the paint for the Hogs.
Hunter Mickelson averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds per game last season, and newcomers Coty Clarke and Jacorey Williams will also be needed in 2012-13.
Had Harris been declared eligible he would have given Arkansas a much-needed boost in depth, and that’s something they needed inside.
Arkansas will have to make up for its lack of size by ramping up the “40 Minutes of Hell” if they’re to make good on the media’s prediction that they’ll finish fifth in the SEC.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)