Oct 25, 2012, 2:40 PM EST
Mike Anderson already has a pretty talented team in his second season in Fayetteville, with sophomore guard B.J. Young leading the way.
And the possible addition of Houston transfer Alandise Harris could have made the Razorbacks a even safer bet to return to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008.
But the school received some bad news, as it was reported that the NCAA denied the Little Rock native’s request for an immediate eligibility waiver.
According to Charles Bahn of ArkansasSports360, Anderson made the announcement at a speaking engagement on Tuesday.
Harris averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds per game at Houston last season, and had he been eligible to play this season Harris would have given Arkansas a nice boost in the front court.
Marshawn Powell returns after playing just two games last season due to a knee injury, and he’ll obviously be the leader in the paint for the Hogs.
Hunter Mickelson averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds per game last season, and newcomers Coty Clarke and Jacorey Williams will also be needed in 2012-13.
Had Harris been declared eligible he would have given Arkansas a much-needed boost in depth, and that’s something they needed inside.
Arkansas will have to make up for its lack of size by ramping up the “40 Minutes of Hell” if they’re to make good on the media’s prediction that they’ll finish fifth in the SEC.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 2
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)