Oct 25, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT
Mike Anderson already has a pretty talented team in his second season in Fayetteville, with sophomore guard B.J. Young leading the way.
And the possible addition of Houston transfer Alandise Harris could have made the Razorbacks a even safer bet to return to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008.
But the school received some bad news, as it was reported that the NCAA denied the Little Rock native’s request for an immediate eligibility waiver.
According to Charles Bahn of ArkansasSports360, Anderson made the announcement at a speaking engagement on Tuesday.
Harris averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds per game at Houston last season, and had he been eligible to play this season Harris would have given Arkansas a nice boost in the front court.
Marshawn Powell returns after playing just two games last season due to a knee injury, and he’ll obviously be the leader in the paint for the Hogs.
Hunter Mickelson averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds per game last season, and newcomers Coty Clarke and Jacorey Williams will also be needed in 2012-13.
Had Harris been declared eligible he would have given Arkansas a much-needed boost in depth, and that’s something they needed inside.
Arkansas will have to make up for its lack of size by ramping up the “40 Minutes of Hell” if they’re to make good on the media’s prediction that they’ll finish fifth in the SEC.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte