Oct 25, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
Yesterday, twitter was abuzz when news leaked that the nation’s No. 1 recruit, Shabazz Muhammad, had injured his shoulder at UCLA’s practice.
How bad was it?
Now we know: not a huge issue. According to CBSSports.com, Muhammad will be out for 2-to-4 weeks, but they aren’t quite sure.
“It will probably be a few weeks,” UCLA head coach Ben Howland told Jon Rothstein. “We don’t know just how long yet but probably a few weeks.”
The injury may end up being more trouble for Muhammad than it would be for any other player, however. As you should be well aware, Muhammad is currently dealing with amateurism issues and has not been cleared by the NCAA yet. The way this works is that Muhammad gets 45 days from the start of practice — which was October 12th — as, more or less, a grace period. He can practice with the team for those 45 days, but if there still hasn’t been a ruling in that time, he’ll have to sit out.
Those 45 days are up about a month from today. If Muhammad’s injury last four weeks, that means he won’t get anymore practice time in before he has to sit out. And if he has to sit out a long time, well, let’s just say not practicing means he won’t be learning the system he’s playing in and won’t be learning how to play with his teammates. And keep in mind, he also battled a sprained ankle of the summer and didn’t practice with the team before their trip to China.
He’s way behind.
Which doesn’t bode well for when — if? — he ever gets cleared.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)