Oct 25, 2012, 8:29 PM EST
Yesterday, twitter was abuzz when news leaked that the nation’s No. 1 recruit, Shabazz Muhammad, had injured his shoulder at UCLA’s practice.
How bad was it?
Now we know: not a huge issue. According to CBSSports.com, Muhammad will be out for 2-to-4 weeks, but they aren’t quite sure.
“It will probably be a few weeks,” UCLA head coach Ben Howland told Jon Rothstein. “We don’t know just how long yet but probably a few weeks.”
The injury may end up being more trouble for Muhammad than it would be for any other player, however. As you should be well aware, Muhammad is currently dealing with amateurism issues and has not been cleared by the NCAA yet. The way this works is that Muhammad gets 45 days from the start of practice — which was October 12th — as, more or less, a grace period. He can practice with the team for those 45 days, but if there still hasn’t been a ruling in that time, he’ll have to sit out.
Those 45 days are up about a month from today. If Muhammad’s injury last four weeks, that means he won’t get anymore practice time in before he has to sit out. And if he has to sit out a long time, well, let’s just say not practicing means he won’t be learning the system he’s playing in and won’t be learning how to play with his teammates. And keep in mind, he also battled a sprained ankle of the summer and didn’t practice with the team before their trip to China.
He’s way behind.
Which doesn’t bode well for when — if? — he ever gets cleared.
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)