Oct 25, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
You know how UConn won’t be playing in the Big East tournament this season? And how there is no chance that they’ll make a trip to the NCAA tournament this year? And how Alex Oriakhi is at Missouri this season?
Well, all of that can be traced by to UConn’s APR scores.
Now, the APR isn’t perfect — far from it, actually — but it is the way the NCAA measures academic strength within a program, and by just about any measure, UConn’s academics were an issue.
And now it looks like academics may end up joining recruiting violations, stolen laptops and failed bike rides as the last legacies from Jim Calhoun’s tenure in Storrs. From the CT Post:
UConn men’s basketball just posted an 11 percent Graduation Success Rate. The figure, which shows the percentage of athletes earning a degree within six years of entering college, is based on basketball players that began school from 2002-05. Quite of few of those athletes — Marcus Williams, Rudy Gay, Charlie Villanueva, Josh Boone — were early entrants for the NBA Draft. Still, UConn’s number is far below the national average of 74 percent.
11% is not good.
What is good, for UConn fans at least, is that this won’t affect their postseason standing at all.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)