Oct 25, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
You know how UConn won’t be playing in the Big East tournament this season? And how there is no chance that they’ll make a trip to the NCAA tournament this year? And how Alex Oriakhi is at Missouri this season?
Well, all of that can be traced by to UConn’s APR scores.
Now, the APR isn’t perfect — far from it, actually — but it is the way the NCAA measures academic strength within a program, and by just about any measure, UConn’s academics were an issue.
And now it looks like academics may end up joining recruiting violations, stolen laptops and failed bike rides as the last legacies from Jim Calhoun’s tenure in Storrs. From the CT Post:
UConn men’s basketball just posted an 11 percent Graduation Success Rate. The figure, which shows the percentage of athletes earning a degree within six years of entering college, is based on basketball players that began school from 2002-05. Quite of few of those athletes — Marcus Williams, Rudy Gay, Charlie Villanueva, Josh Boone — were early entrants for the NBA Draft. Still, UConn’s number is far below the national average of 74 percent.
11% is not good.
What is good, for UConn fans at least, is that this won’t affect their postseason standing at all.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)