Oct 26, 2012, 2:26 PM EDT
DePaul, despite their struggles in recent years, had some reasons for optimism entering the 2012-13 season with juniors Cleveland Melvin and Brandon Young leading the way.
While the Big East coaches may have picked the Blue Demons to finish 13th in the conference at the league’s media day, there is some hope that Oliver Purnell can lead DePaul closer to the .500 mark (12-19 in 2011-12).
The hopes of the DePaul faithful in that regard were dealt a blow, as the school confirmed reports from Thursday that freshman forward DeJuan Marrero was lost for the season with a torn ACL in his right knee.
As a senior at Bowman Academy in Gary, Indiana last year Marrero averaged 20 points and 14 rebounds per game after posting averages of 22.1 points and 15.3 rebounds as a junior.
Marrero was expected, along with fellow freshmen Jodan Price and Montray Clemons (redshirted last season due to injury), to give the Blue Demon rotation some help in 2012-13.
Melvin, Young and guard Moses Morgan are DePaul’s three returning starters, and contributors such as Jamee Crockett and Worrel Clahar return as well.
Is this group improved enough to reach the .500 mark? We’ll see, but the loss of Marrero is a tough one for the Blue Demons.
Photo credit: DePaul University
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)