Oct 26, 2012, 1:21 PM EST
The preseason Associated Press poll was released today, and it should come as no surprise that Tom Crean’s Indiana Hoosiers lead the way.
Indiana received 43 of the 65 first-place votes, with No. 2 Louisville (20) and No. 3 Kentucky (2) accounting for the others.
The Big Ten claimed three spots in the Top 5, with Ohio State and Michigan landing fourth and fifth.
The last time a conference held three of the top five spots in the preseason AP poll was in 2008-09, when Connecticut (2nd), Louisville (3rd) and Pittsburgh (5th) of the Big East did.
This is the first time that Indiana has received the top spot in the preseason AP poll since the beginning of the 1979-80 season, a group led by Mike Woodson (now head coach of the New York Knicks) and freshman guard Isiah Thomas.
That group finished the season with a 21-8 record (13-5 Big Ten), but they lost to a Joe Barry Carroll-led Purdue team in the 1980 Mideast Regional semis.
The full preseason AP poll:
|1||Indiana 0-0||1592 (43)||NR|
|2||Louisville 0-0||1568 (20)||NR|
|3||Kentucky 0-0||1453 (2)||NR|
|4||Ohio State 0-0||1292||NR|
|6||North Carolina State 0-0||1270||NR|
|11||North Carolina 0-0||904||NR|
|14||Michigan State 0-0||789||NR|
|20||San Diego State 0-0||463||NR|
|22||Notre Dame 0-0||297||NR|
|25||Florida State 0-0||101||NR|
Receiving votes: Murray State 59, Virginia Commonwealth 58, Texas 46, Saint Louis 46, Minnesota 40, Butler 33, Pittsburgh 32, Saint Joseph’s 25, Marquette 23, Tennessee 15, Oklahoma State 14, Kansas State 12, Georgetown 9, New Mexico 9, Ohio 9, Miami (FL) 8, Saint Mary’s 6, West Virginia 6, Davidson 5, Drexel 5, Northern Iowa 5, Valparaiso 3, Stanford 2, Lehigh 2, Colorado State 1, Oral Roberts 1
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)