Oct 26, 2012, 11:45 PM EST
The renovation on Pauley Pavilion became complete Friday afternoon, when UCLA unveiled an 8-foot bronze statue of the legendary John Wooden outside the newly revamped arena.
The statue weights 400-pounds and has Wooden standing tall with his arms crossed, gazing to his left. One the base of the statue includes his signature and one of the countless Wooden quotes that are still recited today.
“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable.”
Wooden, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 99, won 10 national championships for the Bruins, including seven consecutive from 1967-1973.
Current Bruins coach Ben Howland added, ”It really captures Coach.”
Howland said Wooden might have downplayed the honor ”but he also understood how many lives he’s touched and what he’s meant to everyone here at UCLA.”
The reopening of Pauley Pavilion, along with the unveiling of a well-deserved statue, are some of the bright spots in a tough time in Bruin basketball. UCLA, who struggled to a 19-14 record in 2011-2012, are still waiting to hear about whether or not Kyle Anderson and Shabazz Muhammad – the top two recruits – will be eligible to play this season.
UCLA opens the new Pauley Pavilion Nov. 9 against Indiana State.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 11
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)