Oct 26, 2012, 11:45 PM EDT
The renovation on Pauley Pavilion became complete Friday afternoon, when UCLA unveiled an 8-foot bronze statue of the legendary John Wooden outside the newly revamped arena.
The statue weights 400-pounds and has Wooden standing tall with his arms crossed, gazing to his left. One the base of the statue includes his signature and one of the countless Wooden quotes that are still recited today.
“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable.”
Wooden, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 99, won 10 national championships for the Bruins, including seven consecutive from 1967-1973.
Current Bruins coach Ben Howland added, ”It really captures Coach.”
Howland said Wooden might have downplayed the honor ”but he also understood how many lives he’s touched and what he’s meant to everyone here at UCLA.”
The reopening of Pauley Pavilion, along with the unveiling of a well-deserved statue, are some of the bright spots in a tough time in Bruin basketball. UCLA, who struggled to a 19-14 record in 2011-2012, are still waiting to hear about whether or not Kyle Anderson and Shabazz Muhammad – the top two recruits – will be eligible to play this season.
UCLA opens the new Pauley Pavilion Nov. 9 against Indiana State.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)