Oct 26, 2012, 11:45 PM EST
The renovation on Pauley Pavilion became complete Friday afternoon, when UCLA unveiled an 8-foot bronze statue of the legendary John Wooden outside the newly revamped arena.
The statue weights 400-pounds and has Wooden standing tall with his arms crossed, gazing to his left. One the base of the statue includes his signature and one of the countless Wooden quotes that are still recited today.
“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable.”
Wooden, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 99, won 10 national championships for the Bruins, including seven consecutive from 1967-1973.
Current Bruins coach Ben Howland added, ”It really captures Coach.”
Howland said Wooden might have downplayed the honor ”but he also understood how many lives he’s touched and what he’s meant to everyone here at UCLA.”
The reopening of Pauley Pavilion, along with the unveiling of a well-deserved statue, are some of the bright spots in a tough time in Bruin basketball. UCLA, who struggled to a 19-14 record in 2011-2012, are still waiting to hear about whether or not Kyle Anderson and Shabazz Muhammad – the top two recruits – will be eligible to play this season.
UCLA opens the new Pauley Pavilion Nov. 9 against Indiana State.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)