Oct 26, 2012, 11:45 PM EST
The renovation on Pauley Pavilion became complete Friday afternoon, when UCLA unveiled an 8-foot bronze statue of the legendary John Wooden outside the newly revamped arena.
The statue weights 400-pounds and has Wooden standing tall with his arms crossed, gazing to his left. One the base of the statue includes his signature and one of the countless Wooden quotes that are still recited today.
“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable.”
Wooden, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 99, won 10 national championships for the Bruins, including seven consecutive from 1967-1973.
Current Bruins coach Ben Howland added, ”It really captures Coach.”
Howland said Wooden might have downplayed the honor ”but he also understood how many lives he’s touched and what he’s meant to everyone here at UCLA.”
The reopening of Pauley Pavilion, along with the unveiling of a well-deserved statue, are some of the bright spots in a tough time in Bruin basketball. UCLA, who struggled to a 19-14 record in 2011-2012, are still waiting to hear about whether or not Kyle Anderson and Shabazz Muhammad – the top two recruits – will be eligible to play this season.
UCLA opens the new Pauley Pavilion Nov. 9 against Indiana State.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)