Oct 26, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Friday afternoon, Missouri head coach Frank Haith announced that senior guard Michael Dixon and freshman guard Dominique Bull have been suspended indefinitely for violation of team rules.
Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports was the first to report on the suspensions.
Dixon was projected to make up a strong backcourt in the SEC, playing alongside Phil Pressey, the conference preseason player of the year.
“We have high expectations for our players, and particularly our seniors,” Haith told the media. “The time frame will also depend on the player and their response to adversity.
“I want this to be personal growth time for both these young men. I’ve seen some of that from Mike, who has had some time off to work on some academic stuff. He’s made some strides in that area and I’m really proud of him.”
Last season, Dixon was one of the nation’s best bench players, averaging 13.5 points 3.3 assists for the Tigers. Mizzou can handle the suspension, as the Tigers enter the season with a loaded core of guards.
Besides Pressey, Mizzou add transfers Keion Bell and Earnest Ross this season, after both sat out last season. The 6-foot-4 Bell, who came from Pepperdine, averaged over 18 points per game in his last two collegiate seasons and has one year left of eligibility. Ross, the 6-foot-5 junior, averaged 13.1 points per game in 2010-2011 for Auburn.
Jabari Brown will be eligible to play in the second semester following his transfer from Oregon, while freshman Negus Webster-Chan adds size on the perimeter at 6-foot-7.
The length of each suspension has yet to be determined by Haith.
Missouri is ranked No. 15 in the preseason AP poll, released today. The Tigers start the season Nov. 10 against SIU-Edwardsville at home.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)