Oct 26, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
While there weren’t many people who expected the NCAA to grant Maryland guard/forward Dex Wells immediate eligibility, there was some hope amongst the Terrapin fan base that the former Xavier Musketeer would be allowed to play this season.
Those hopes were shot down however, as it’s been reported that the NCAA has denied the request for an eligibility waiver.
Maryland plans to appeal the ruling, and if denied Wells would have three years of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2013-14 campaign.
Wells, who hails from Raleigh, was expelled from Xavier in August for a violation of the student conduct code. That case centered around a sexual incident, but the Hamilton (OH) County prosecutor refused to pursue the case.
Joe Deters, in discussing the case, called the expulsion process “fundamentally unfair” and said that his office would not prosecute someone based on the information they received.
But removing that aspect of the situation and focusing solely on basketball Wells did play in 32 games for the Musketeers last season, finishing with averages of 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game.
Maryland returns key contributors such as guards Nick Faust and Pe’Shon Howard, as well as forward James Padgett and center Alex Len.
The Terrapins also welcome a five-member recruiting class (led by Noah Allen, Shaquille Cleare and Charles Mitchell) and Albany transfer Logan Aronhalt, who averaged 14.2 points per game and was a third team All-America East selection in 2011-12.
Wells would have given Maryland a nice boost on the perimeter in regards to both skill and athleticism, but the appeal was a longshot in the eyes of many.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 4
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 3
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)