Oct 26, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
While there weren’t many people who expected the NCAA to grant Maryland guard/forward Dex Wells immediate eligibility, there was some hope amongst the Terrapin fan base that the former Xavier Musketeer would be allowed to play this season.
Those hopes were shot down however, as it’s been reported that the NCAA has denied the request for an eligibility waiver.
Maryland plans to appeal the ruling, and if denied Wells would have three years of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2013-14 campaign.
Wells, who hails from Raleigh, was expelled from Xavier in August for a violation of the student conduct code. That case centered around a sexual incident, but the Hamilton (OH) County prosecutor refused to pursue the case.
Joe Deters, in discussing the case, called the expulsion process “fundamentally unfair” and said that his office would not prosecute someone based on the information they received.
But removing that aspect of the situation and focusing solely on basketball Wells did play in 32 games for the Musketeers last season, finishing with averages of 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game.
Maryland returns key contributors such as guards Nick Faust and Pe’Shon Howard, as well as forward James Padgett and center Alex Len.
The Terrapins also welcome a five-member recruiting class (led by Noah Allen, Shaquille Cleare and Charles Mitchell) and Albany transfer Logan Aronhalt, who averaged 14.2 points per game and was a third team All-America East selection in 2011-12.
Wells would have given Maryland a nice boost on the perimeter in regards to both skill and athleticism, but the appeal was a longshot in the eyes of many.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)