Oct 26, 2012, 7:00 PM EST
The Iowa State Cyclones have added a point guard on Friday afternoon, as USC sophomore guard Maurice Jones has decided to transfer ISU.
“I am really excited to start over and be a part of a program on the rise like Iowa State,” Jones said in a release from the school. “I watched Iowa State play a few times last year and (Iowa State head) coach (Fred) Hoiberg talked to me about how I will be able to thrive in their system. When I met with him (Hoiberg) he also talked about how much the community cares about basketball. I am really looking forward to being a part of the Cyclone program.”
However, Jones will be on the Iowa State sideline for over a year. The floor general will join the Cyclones on the court following the end of the fall semester next year, which will be sometime in mid-December.
The 5-foot-7 Jones averaged 13 points and 3.5 assists per game as as sophomore at USC. Last season he led the Pac-12 in minutes per game (38.2).
“Maurice is one of the quickest players with the basketball you will see,” Hoiberg said in the release. “He is an experienced player who has proven he can play against top-level competition. We welcome Maurice to the Cyclone family.”
Jones will be the obvious choice to succeed point guard, and fellow transfer, Korie Lucious after the 2012-2013 season. Lucious is wrapping up his career at Iowa State, following three seasons at Michigan State.
Hoilberg and Iowa State have benefited, as much as any other team, from transfers in recent seasons. Almost half of the Cyclones’ roster from a season ago was made up of transfer students, including four of the program’s top-five scorers.
Iowa State begins the season Nov. 9 at home against Southern.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (10)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)