Oct 27, 2012, 1:46 PM EST
Pat Summitt was the defining face of the Tennessee basketball program for nearly four decades and she was rewarded Friday with enshrinement into the Lady Vols Hall of Fame.
The announcement of Summitt’s enshrinement means the longtime head women’s basketball coach will bypass typical regulations which dictate that athletes are eligible for the honor 10 years after graduation and administrators are eligible five years after their last service to the school.
But it comes as no surprise for a woman who won 1098 games in Tennessee orange and was one of the most prominent figures in women’s collegiate athletics for decades.
She joins former Tennessee basketball player Michelle Marciniak, track athlete Jane Haist, and golfer Young-A Yang Read in the 2012 class.
Summitt announced her retirement in April, now becoming the head coach emeritus at Tennessee. She left the school after 38 seasons and nine national championships. She is the winningest coach in the history of men’s and women’s basketball.
Now under new head coach Holly Warlick, the Lady Vols open their season against Chattanooga on Nov. 9.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)