Oct 27, 2012, 9:49 AM EST
Two of the nation’s perennial powerhouses will begin a four-year series with each other starting in the 2013-14 season.
Kansas and Georgetown will face off on Dec. 21, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse to begin the series, which was agreed to Wednesday and acknowledged in a joint press release from the schools.
As with many series, the teams will play at home in alternating years. Kansas will host Georgetown in 2013-14 and 2015-16, while Georgetown’s Verizon Center will be the venue for games in 2014-15 and 2016-17.
These two schools have only met twice in their histories, once during the 1987 NCAA tournament when Georgetown beat KU. They also met last year during the EA Sports Maui Invitational, a 67-63 win for Kansas to even the all-time series.
As for this season, Kansas comes into 2012-13 ranked No. 7 in both the AP and Coaches poll. Georgetown received votes in the AP poll, but starts the season outside the Top 25.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)