Oct 27, 2012, 11:43 AM EST
Roy Williams’ North Carolina Tar Heels will begin the season just outside the Top 10 and after their 81-54 exhibition win over D-II Shaw Friday night, they are looking forward to their season opener in less than two weeks.
The Tar Heels started off slow, beginning the game 3-of-13 from the floor and even trailing early in the second half, but a 23-0 run allowed UNC to roar back and take the lead and close out the 27-point victory.
“I thought it was a really good night for us,” Williams said in a statement. “I even liked it when they took the lead there because those are the kinds of things that we’re going to face all year, so I liked the way our guys responded.
“We didn’t shoot the ball very well. I said that last year we were going to be a really good shooting team, and I think this is a team that’s going to be even better than that.”
Williams’ team is tasked this season with replacing four first-round NBA draft picks—Kendall Marshall, John Henson, Tyler Zeller, and Harrison Barnes—and made to do so with the help of four-man recruiting class.
One of those freshman, 6-10, 260-pound Joel James, helped UNC to a win Friday night with 13 points and seven rebounds. James was a top-75 recruit in the Class of 2012.
Many expect North Carolina to have a breakout star 2012-13, James Michael McAdoo, who played well with 16 points and eight rebounds.
The Tar Heels open their season Nov. 9 against Gardner-Webb.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)