Oct 28, 2012, 7:48 PM EST
Butler, who already held a verbal commitment from forward Andrew Chrabascz, picked up another BABC product as 6-3 combo guard Rene Castro tweeted his decision on Saturday afternoon.
Castro, who attends Worcester (MA) Academy, played 19 games for BABC during the Nike EYBL this spring and averaged a team-high 16.7 points and 2.8 assists per game.
At the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam Castro led a shorthanded BABC squad with averages of 18.0 points and 2.6 assists in five games.
According to Brian Snow of Scout.com, Castro picked the Bulldogs over Duquesne, George Washington and Boston University.
In addition to Castro and Chrabascz, Butler also holds a verbal commitment from 6-8 center Nolan Berry.
The one spot where Butler goes into the 2012-13 season with a bit of a question mark is at the point, where Arkansas transfer Rotnei Clarke will take the reins.
The good news there is that Clarke had a season to not only digest Brad Stevens’ system but also become more comfortable at the point after playing off the ball during the majority of his time in Fayetteville.
Sophomores Jackson Aldridge and Alex Barlow, whose playing time increased a great deal in CBI play, are two point guards who will factor into the rotation and also be around when Castro arrives on campus next fall.
Of the three freshmen Chris Harrison-Docks is the point guard, while Kellen Dunham (who many expect to start this season) and Devontae Morgan are both players better suited to operate off the ball.
Adding a player of Castro’s talent, not to mention the fact that he’s been a part of some very successful teams, will help Butler as they look to be a consistent title contender in the Atlantic 10.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)