Oct 28, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
Indiana landed its fifth verbal commitment in the 2013 class on Sunday, as 6-6 wing Troy Williams made his pledge to Tom Crean’s program.
The news, reported by multiple outlets early in the afternoon, was confirmed by Wiliams on Twitter.
Williams, who is playing his senior season at Oak Hill Academy after spending three years at Phoebus (VA) High, joins Devin Davis, Luke Fischer, Collin Hartman and Stanford Robinson in Indiana’s 2013 class.
Williams is an excellent athlete, and while already a good player offensively he’s got the ability to be an even better player on that end of the floor.
“Troy is a freak athlete who can help any team on both ends of the court,” Oak Hill coach Steve Smith told SNY.tv. “A high-energy guy who rebounds his position as well as any player in the country. He is continuing to work on his shot and getting stronger in the weight room. He thrives in transition and is a really good passer. That is a skill most people don’t realize he is so good at.”
The one question for Indiana: how are they going to allocate their scholarships next season?
According to the scholarship chart put together by Inside the Hall, Williams’ commitment pushes the Hoosiers to 15 scholarships in 2013-14.
Of course there’s the early entry aspect to look at with Cody Zeller being the focus in that regard.
But while the scholarship juggling can be seen as a nuisance by some, when considering the amount of talent that can return next season along with these newcomers (and the fact that BeeJay Anya and Noah Vonleh remain on the board) that’s not a bad problem to have.
Three 2013 prospects made the trip to “Hoosier Hysteria” last weekend: Robinson, Williams and Anya.
And while he wasn’t part of that trio there are those who believe that Indiana is in good position to land Vonleh.
“They got a good shot at him,” Boo Williams, Troy’s uncle and AAU coach, said. “If Noah goes there, their corners could be as good as anybody.”
That happens and the Hoosiers are once again in the discussion for preseason number one when the 2013-14 season rolls around.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)