Oct 28, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
Indiana landed its fifth verbal commitment in the 2013 class on Sunday, as 6-6 wing Troy Williams made his pledge to Tom Crean’s program.
The news, reported by multiple outlets early in the afternoon, was confirmed by Wiliams on Twitter.
Williams, who is playing his senior season at Oak Hill Academy after spending three years at Phoebus (VA) High, joins Devin Davis, Luke Fischer, Collin Hartman and Stanford Robinson in Indiana’s 2013 class.
Williams is an excellent athlete, and while already a good player offensively he’s got the ability to be an even better player on that end of the floor.
“Troy is a freak athlete who can help any team on both ends of the court,” Oak Hill coach Steve Smith told SNY.tv. “A high-energy guy who rebounds his position as well as any player in the country. He is continuing to work on his shot and getting stronger in the weight room. He thrives in transition and is a really good passer. That is a skill most people don’t realize he is so good at.”
The one question for Indiana: how are they going to allocate their scholarships next season?
According to the scholarship chart put together by Inside the Hall, Williams’ commitment pushes the Hoosiers to 15 scholarships in 2013-14.
Of course there’s the early entry aspect to look at with Cody Zeller being the focus in that regard.
But while the scholarship juggling can be seen as a nuisance by some, when considering the amount of talent that can return next season along with these newcomers (and the fact that BeeJay Anya and Noah Vonleh remain on the board) that’s not a bad problem to have.
Three 2013 prospects made the trip to “Hoosier Hysteria” last weekend: Robinson, Williams and Anya.
And while he wasn’t part of that trio there are those who believe that Indiana is in good position to land Vonleh.
“They got a good shot at him,” Boo Williams, Troy’s uncle and AAU coach, said. “If Noah goes there, their corners could be as good as anybody.”
That happens and the Hoosiers are once again in the discussion for preseason number one when the 2013-14 season rolls around.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)