Oct 28, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Gonzaga junior forward Kelly Olynyk will miss the first three games of the regular season after violating the school’s Student Code of Conduct, the school announced Saturday.
“Gonzaga’s student-athletes are students first, and are required to follow all tenets of the Student Code of Conduct,” the university said in a statement. “The same rules and procedures are applied to all students in conduct and disciplinary matters.
“Consistent with university policy regarding matters involving student discipline, no further comments regarding the violation or disciplinary action will be forthcoming.”
Olynyk sat out Gonzaga’s Midnight Madness festivities last weekend and did not play in Saturday night’s 93-45 exhibition win over Northwest Nazarene.
As it stands, Olynyk will miss games against Southern Utah, West Virginia, and South Dakota, before returning for the Old Spice Classic on Nov. 22.
The seven-foot, 238-pound Olynyk redshirted last season, but averaged 5.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per game during his last collegiate season, 2010-11.
Gonzaga begins the season without him on Nov. 9 against Southern Utah.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)