Oct 28, 2012, 10:12 AM EST
Gonzaga junior forward Kelly Olynyk will miss the first three games of the regular season after violating the school’s Student Code of Conduct, the school announced Saturday.
“Gonzaga’s student-athletes are students first, and are required to follow all tenets of the Student Code of Conduct,” the university said in a statement. “The same rules and procedures are applied to all students in conduct and disciplinary matters.
“Consistent with university policy regarding matters involving student discipline, no further comments regarding the violation or disciplinary action will be forthcoming.”
Olynyk sat out Gonzaga’s Midnight Madness festivities last weekend and did not play in Saturday night’s 93-45 exhibition win over Northwest Nazarene.
As it stands, Olynyk will miss games against Southern Utah, West Virginia, and South Dakota, before returning for the Old Spice Classic on Nov. 22.
The seven-foot, 238-pound Olynyk redshirted last season, but averaged 5.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per game during his last collegiate season, 2010-11.
Gonzaga begins the season without him on Nov. 9 against Southern Utah.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)