Oct 28, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Gonzaga junior forward Kelly Olynyk will miss the first three games of the regular season after violating the school’s Student Code of Conduct, the school announced Saturday.
“Gonzaga’s student-athletes are students first, and are required to follow all tenets of the Student Code of Conduct,” the university said in a statement. “The same rules and procedures are applied to all students in conduct and disciplinary matters.
“Consistent with university policy regarding matters involving student discipline, no further comments regarding the violation or disciplinary action will be forthcoming.”
Olynyk sat out Gonzaga’s Midnight Madness festivities last weekend and did not play in Saturday night’s 93-45 exhibition win over Northwest Nazarene.
As it stands, Olynyk will miss games against Southern Utah, West Virginia, and South Dakota, before returning for the Old Spice Classic on Nov. 22.
The seven-foot, 238-pound Olynyk redshirted last season, but averaged 5.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per game during his last collegiate season, 2010-11.
Gonzaga begins the season without him on Nov. 9 against Southern Utah.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)