Oct 28, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Gonzaga junior forward Kelly Olynyk will miss the first three games of the regular season after violating the school’s Student Code of Conduct, the school announced Saturday.
“Gonzaga’s student-athletes are students first, and are required to follow all tenets of the Student Code of Conduct,” the university said in a statement. “The same rules and procedures are applied to all students in conduct and disciplinary matters.
“Consistent with university policy regarding matters involving student discipline, no further comments regarding the violation or disciplinary action will be forthcoming.”
Olynyk sat out Gonzaga’s Midnight Madness festivities last weekend and did not play in Saturday night’s 93-45 exhibition win over Northwest Nazarene.
As it stands, Olynyk will miss games against Southern Utah, West Virginia, and South Dakota, before returning for the Old Spice Classic on Nov. 22.
The seven-foot, 238-pound Olynyk redshirted last season, but averaged 5.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per game during his last collegiate season, 2010-11.
Gonzaga begins the season without him on Nov. 9 against Southern Utah.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)