Oct 28, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
John Groce’s tenure at Illinois officially got underway Saturday night with a 79-47 exhibition victory over Lewis at Assembly Hall in Champaign, Ill.
All 13 players logged minutes for the Illini in the win, with D.J. Richardson’s 12 points leading the scoring. Myke Henry and Sam McLaurin also reached double figures with 11 each and Brandon Paul finishing with nine points and five assists.
“The think the biggest thing I learned tonight was how good they want to be,” Groce said after the game. “Almost everything that we addressed through film, I can in good faith tell you I thought we got better at it tonight.”
Illinois, which shot poorly from three-point range last season, started 6-of-8 from long range and ended up going 9-of-18 on the game.
Below are highlights, courtesy of Illinois Athletics. The Illini return to the floor Nov. 4 against West Chester (Pa.).
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)