Oct 28, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
John Groce’s tenure at Illinois officially got underway Saturday night with a 79-47 exhibition victory over Lewis at Assembly Hall in Champaign, Ill.
All 13 players logged minutes for the Illini in the win, with D.J. Richardson’s 12 points leading the scoring. Myke Henry and Sam McLaurin also reached double figures with 11 each and Brandon Paul finishing with nine points and five assists.
“The think the biggest thing I learned tonight was how good they want to be,” Groce said after the game. “Almost everything that we addressed through film, I can in good faith tell you I thought we got better at it tonight.”
Illinois, which shot poorly from three-point range last season, started 6-of-8 from long range and ended up going 9-of-18 on the game.
Below are highlights, courtesy of Illinois Athletics. The Illini return to the floor Nov. 4 against West Chester (Pa.).
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)