Oct 28, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
John Groce’s tenure at Illinois officially got underway Saturday night with a 79-47 exhibition victory over Lewis at Assembly Hall in Champaign, Ill.
All 13 players logged minutes for the Illini in the win, with D.J. Richardson’s 12 points leading the scoring. Myke Henry and Sam McLaurin also reached double figures with 11 each and Brandon Paul finishing with nine points and five assists.
“The think the biggest thing I learned tonight was how good they want to be,” Groce said after the game. “Almost everything that we addressed through film, I can in good faith tell you I thought we got better at it tonight.”
Illinois, which shot poorly from three-point range last season, started 6-of-8 from long range and ended up going 9-of-18 on the game.
Below are highlights, courtesy of Illinois Athletics. The Illini return to the floor Nov. 4 against West Chester (Pa.).
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)