Oct 28, 2012, 12:06 PM EDT
After Xavier transfer Dez Wells was denied a waiver to play immediately at Maryland, the school will appeal the ruling, multiple outlets are reporting.
Wells, a 6-5 wing, was expelled from Xavier earlier this year after being charged with sexual assault, but the charges were later rejected by a grand jury.
Controversy ensued, with many saying Wells was prematurely expelled from the school and that the university moved too quickly in their judgment of the case.
If Wells is able to enter the mix for Maryland this season, they have potential to earn a berth in the NCAA tournament. He averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game, along with being a superb athlete.
Maryland has had difficulties with the NCAA of late after an unfavorable eligibility ruling was handed down to freshman Sam Cassell Jr., which now forced him to attend junior college.
“It reminds me of the old Jerry Tarkanian line. Tarkanian, who battled the NCAA long and hard during his career at UNLV and before that at Long Beach State, once joked that the “NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they they put Cleveland State on probation.”
The Terps are not Cleveland State, but in this situation they might be close.”
Maryland opens its season on Nov. 9 against Kentucky at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 12
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 6
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 (17)