Oct 28, 2012, 12:06 PM EDT
After Xavier transfer Dez Wells was denied a waiver to play immediately at Maryland, the school will appeal the ruling, multiple outlets are reporting.
Wells, a 6-5 wing, was expelled from Xavier earlier this year after being charged with sexual assault, but the charges were later rejected by a grand jury.
Controversy ensued, with many saying Wells was prematurely expelled from the school and that the university moved too quickly in their judgment of the case.
If Wells is able to enter the mix for Maryland this season, they have potential to earn a berth in the NCAA tournament. He averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game, along with being a superb athlete.
Maryland has had difficulties with the NCAA of late after an unfavorable eligibility ruling was handed down to freshman Sam Cassell Jr., which now forced him to attend junior college.
“It reminds me of the old Jerry Tarkanian line. Tarkanian, who battled the NCAA long and hard during his career at UNLV and before that at Long Beach State, once joked that the “NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they they put Cleveland State on probation.”
The Terps are not Cleveland State, but in this situation they might be close.”
Maryland opens its season on Nov. 9 against Kentucky at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)