Oct 28, 2012, 12:06 PM EST
After Xavier transfer Dez Wells was denied a waiver to play immediately at Maryland, the school will appeal the ruling, multiple outlets are reporting.
Wells, a 6-5 wing, was expelled from Xavier earlier this year after being charged with sexual assault, but the charges were later rejected by a grand jury.
Controversy ensued, with many saying Wells was prematurely expelled from the school and that the university moved too quickly in their judgment of the case.
If Wells is able to enter the mix for Maryland this season, they have potential to earn a berth in the NCAA tournament. He averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game, along with being a superb athlete.
Maryland has had difficulties with the NCAA of late after an unfavorable eligibility ruling was handed down to freshman Sam Cassell Jr., which now forced him to attend junior college.
“It reminds me of the old Jerry Tarkanian line. Tarkanian, who battled the NCAA long and hard during his career at UNLV and before that at Long Beach State, once joked that the “NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they they put Cleveland State on probation.”
The Terps are not Cleveland State, but in this situation they might be close.”
Maryland opens its season on Nov. 9 against Kentucky at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 2
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)