Oct 29, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Evansville is expected to have one of its best seasons in school history in 2012-13, and coach Marty Simmons has starting building towards the future with the commitment of point guard Duane Gibson.
The 6-3, 190-pound Cleveland native currently plays at Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School and is a member of the 2013 class and only the second commitment for next season for the Purple Aces. He committed following an official visit. Jonathan Lintner of the Evansville Courier-Press was the first to break the story.
“I told him I’d think about it on my way home,” Gibson said in the story. “Once I got back, after talking about it with my parents and coaches and everything, I decided it was the right place for me. That’s where I want to be.”
This is a need for Simmons. His only other commitment for 2013 to this point had been his son, Blake. Colt Ryan graduates after this season, and Evansville has a guard like D.J. Balentine four the next four years to play the point, but a team can never have too much depth at one spot, especially at point guard.
Gibson said he plans to sign with Evansville during the Nov. 14 early signing period.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)