Oct 29, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Evansville is expected to have one of its best seasons in school history in 2012-13, and coach Marty Simmons has starting building towards the future with the commitment of point guard Duane Gibson.
The 6-3, 190-pound Cleveland native currently plays at Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School and is a member of the 2013 class and only the second commitment for next season for the Purple Aces. He committed following an official visit. Jonathan Lintner of the Evansville Courier-Press was the first to break the story.
“I told him I’d think about it on my way home,” Gibson said in the story. “Once I got back, after talking about it with my parents and coaches and everything, I decided it was the right place for me. That’s where I want to be.”
This is a need for Simmons. His only other commitment for 2013 to this point had been his son, Blake. Colt Ryan graduates after this season, and Evansville has a guard like D.J. Balentine four the next four years to play the point, but a team can never have too much depth at one spot, especially at point guard.
Gibson said he plans to sign with Evansville during the Nov. 14 early signing period.
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)