Oct 29, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Evansville is expected to have one of its best seasons in school history in 2012-13, and coach Marty Simmons has starting building towards the future with the commitment of point guard Duane Gibson.
The 6-3, 190-pound Cleveland native currently plays at Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School and is a member of the 2013 class and only the second commitment for next season for the Purple Aces. He committed following an official visit. Jonathan Lintner of the Evansville Courier-Press was the first to break the story.
“I told him I’d think about it on my way home,” Gibson said in the story. “Once I got back, after talking about it with my parents and coaches and everything, I decided it was the right place for me. That’s where I want to be.”
This is a need for Simmons. His only other commitment for 2013 to this point had been his son, Blake. Colt Ryan graduates after this season, and Evansville has a guard like D.J. Balentine four the next four years to play the point, but a team can never have too much depth at one spot, especially at point guard.
Gibson said he plans to sign with Evansville during the Nov. 14 early signing period.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)