Oct 29, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Evansville is expected to have one of its best seasons in school history in 2012-13, and coach Marty Simmons has starting building towards the future with the commitment of point guard Duane Gibson.
The 6-3, 190-pound Cleveland native currently plays at Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School and is a member of the 2013 class and only the second commitment for next season for the Purple Aces. He committed following an official visit. Jonathan Lintner of the Evansville Courier-Press was the first to break the story.
“I told him I’d think about it on my way home,” Gibson said in the story. “Once I got back, after talking about it with my parents and coaches and everything, I decided it was the right place for me. That’s where I want to be.”
This is a need for Simmons. His only other commitment for 2013 to this point had been his son, Blake. Colt Ryan graduates after this season, and Evansville has a guard like D.J. Balentine four the next four years to play the point, but a team can never have too much depth at one spot, especially at point guard.
Gibson said he plans to sign with Evansville during the Nov. 14 early signing period.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)