Oct 29, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Evansville is expected to have one of its best seasons in school history in 2012-13, and coach Marty Simmons has starting building towards the future with the commitment of point guard Duane Gibson.
The 6-3, 190-pound Cleveland native currently plays at Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School and is a member of the 2013 class and only the second commitment for next season for the Purple Aces. He committed following an official visit. Jonathan Lintner of the Evansville Courier-Press was the first to break the story.
“I told him I’d think about it on my way home,” Gibson said in the story. “Once I got back, after talking about it with my parents and coaches and everything, I decided it was the right place for me. That’s where I want to be.”
This is a need for Simmons. His only other commitment for 2013 to this point had been his son, Blake. Colt Ryan graduates after this season, and Evansville has a guard like D.J. Balentine four the next four years to play the point, but a team can never have too much depth at one spot, especially at point guard.
Gibson said he plans to sign with Evansville during the Nov. 14 early signing period.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)