Oct 29, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
What looks to be a rough season for Idaho State just got rougher.
Idaho State guard Sherrod Baldwin is academically ineligible for the fall semester, according to Jeff Landers. BigSkyBBall.com has a story on the situation as well.
Baldwin averaged 4.8 points and 1.3 rebound and 1.0 assists per game for the Bengals in 16.6 minutes per contest last season and was going to be a major contributor for a team picked to finish near the bottom of the Big Sky under first year head coach Bill Evans, formerly an assistant at Montana and head coach at Southern Utah.
A Memphis native, Baldwin is a fifth-year senior who redshirted the 2010-11 season.
Baldwin will miss the first nine games of the season, which include three games in a Thanksgiving tournament at Utah, with games against the Utes, Wright State and Central Michigan. The biggest game Baldwin will miss looks like it’ll be the second-to-last one he should miss, Dec. 8 at Oregon.
Keep in mind, getting eligible at the holiday break means that Baldwin has to get right academically, which isn’t guaranteed for any player who is academically ineligible to start a season.
That means for the first few games of the season, leading returning scorer Melvin Morgan (12.2 ppg, 83 assists), a fellow Memphis native, will be relied on heavily, as will players like Andre Hatchett (7.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg in 2011-12) and Nick Mason (played in 23 games last season).
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)