Oct 29, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
What looks to be a rough season for Idaho State just got rougher.
Idaho State guard Sherrod Baldwin is academically ineligible for the fall semester, according to Jeff Landers. BigSkyBBall.com has a story on the situation as well.
Baldwin averaged 4.8 points and 1.3 rebound and 1.0 assists per game for the Bengals in 16.6 minutes per contest last season and was going to be a major contributor for a team picked to finish near the bottom of the Big Sky under first year head coach Bill Evans, formerly an assistant at Montana and head coach at Southern Utah.
A Memphis native, Baldwin is a fifth-year senior who redshirted the 2010-11 season.
Baldwin will miss the first nine games of the season, which include three games in a Thanksgiving tournament at Utah, with games against the Utes, Wright State and Central Michigan. The biggest game Baldwin will miss looks like it’ll be the second-to-last one he should miss, Dec. 8 at Oregon.
Keep in mind, getting eligible at the holiday break means that Baldwin has to get right academically, which isn’t guaranteed for any player who is academically ineligible to start a season.
That means for the first few games of the season, leading returning scorer Melvin Morgan (12.2 ppg, 83 assists), a fellow Memphis native, will be relied on heavily, as will players like Andre Hatchett (7.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg in 2011-12) and Nick Mason (played in 23 games last season).
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)