Oct 29, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
What looks to be a rough season for Idaho State just got rougher.
Idaho State guard Sherrod Baldwin is academically ineligible for the fall semester, according to Jeff Landers. BigSkyBBall.com has a story on the situation as well.
Baldwin averaged 4.8 points and 1.3 rebound and 1.0 assists per game for the Bengals in 16.6 minutes per contest last season and was going to be a major contributor for a team picked to finish near the bottom of the Big Sky under first year head coach Bill Evans, formerly an assistant at Montana and head coach at Southern Utah.
A Memphis native, Baldwin is a fifth-year senior who redshirted the 2010-11 season.
Baldwin will miss the first nine games of the season, which include three games in a Thanksgiving tournament at Utah, with games against the Utes, Wright State and Central Michigan. The biggest game Baldwin will miss looks like it’ll be the second-to-last one he should miss, Dec. 8 at Oregon.
Keep in mind, getting eligible at the holiday break means that Baldwin has to get right academically, which isn’t guaranteed for any player who is academically ineligible to start a season.
That means for the first few games of the season, leading returning scorer Melvin Morgan (12.2 ppg, 83 assists), a fellow Memphis native, will be relied on heavily, as will players like Andre Hatchett (7.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg in 2011-12) and Nick Mason (played in 23 games last season).
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)