Oct 29, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
What looks to be a rough season for Idaho State just got rougher.
Idaho State guard Sherrod Baldwin is academically ineligible for the fall semester, according to Jeff Landers. BigSkyBBall.com has a story on the situation as well.
Baldwin averaged 4.8 points and 1.3 rebound and 1.0 assists per game for the Bengals in 16.6 minutes per contest last season and was going to be a major contributor for a team picked to finish near the bottom of the Big Sky under first year head coach Bill Evans, formerly an assistant at Montana and head coach at Southern Utah.
A Memphis native, Baldwin is a fifth-year senior who redshirted the 2010-11 season.
Baldwin will miss the first nine games of the season, which include three games in a Thanksgiving tournament at Utah, with games against the Utes, Wright State and Central Michigan. The biggest game Baldwin will miss looks like it’ll be the second-to-last one he should miss, Dec. 8 at Oregon.
Keep in mind, getting eligible at the holiday break means that Baldwin has to get right academically, which isn’t guaranteed for any player who is academically ineligible to start a season.
That means for the first few games of the season, leading returning scorer Melvin Morgan (12.2 ppg, 83 assists), a fellow Memphis native, will be relied on heavily, as will players like Andre Hatchett (7.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg in 2011-12) and Nick Mason (played in 23 games last season).
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)