Oct 29, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
What looks to be a rough season for Idaho State just got rougher.
Idaho State guard Sherrod Baldwin is academically ineligible for the fall semester, according to Jeff Landers. BigSkyBBall.com has a story on the situation as well.
Baldwin averaged 4.8 points and 1.3 rebound and 1.0 assists per game for the Bengals in 16.6 minutes per contest last season and was going to be a major contributor for a team picked to finish near the bottom of the Big Sky under first year head coach Bill Evans, formerly an assistant at Montana and head coach at Southern Utah.
A Memphis native, Baldwin is a fifth-year senior who redshirted the 2010-11 season.
Baldwin will miss the first nine games of the season, which include three games in a Thanksgiving tournament at Utah, with games against the Utes, Wright State and Central Michigan. The biggest game Baldwin will miss looks like it’ll be the second-to-last one he should miss, Dec. 8 at Oregon.
Keep in mind, getting eligible at the holiday break means that Baldwin has to get right academically, which isn’t guaranteed for any player who is academically ineligible to start a season.
That means for the first few games of the season, leading returning scorer Melvin Morgan (12.2 ppg, 83 assists), a fellow Memphis native, will be relied on heavily, as will players like Andre Hatchett (7.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg in 2011-12) and Nick Mason (played in 23 games last season).
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)