Oct 29, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
The AP released their Preseason All-American team on Monday, and none of the names on the list should come as a surprise to you.
Indiana’s Cody Zeller was the leading vote-getter, which shouldn’t come as a surprise as he is generally thought of as the consensus Preseason Player of the Year. Here’s the team in its entirety, with the number of votes out of 65 in parentheses:
Cody Zeller, So., Indiana (64)
Doug McDermott, Jr., Creighton (62)
Isaiah Canaan, Sr., Murray State (43)
Deshaun Thomas, Jr., Ohio State (26)
(tie) CJ McCollum, Sr., Lehigh (16)
(tie) Trey Burke, So., Michigan (16)
The talking point here is that three of the six players that were named Preseason All-Americans are from conferences a long way from the BCS. Creighton plays in the Missouri Valley, Murray State resides in the Ohio Valley, and CJ McCollum plays in the lowly Patriot League. That’s pretty incredible.
It’s also pretty impressive to think that there was only one power conference — the Big Ten — that produced a player on this list.
What I want to know, however, is who left Zeller off their ballot? One person did, and I hope they fess up, because I’d love to know how they can possibly justify leaving the player that just about everyone else thinks is the best in the country. Because from where I’m sitting, it makes absolutely no sense.
Anyway, here are all of the other players that received votes for the first-team:
Kenny Boynton, Florida; Lorenzo Brown, North Carolina State; Aaron Craft, Ohio State; Jamaal Franklin, San Diego State; Solomon Hill, Arizona; Pierre Jackson, Baylor; C.J. Leslie, North Carolina State; James Michael McAdoo, North Carolina; Tony Mitchell, North Texas; Mike Moser, UNLV; Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA; Nerlens Noel, Kentucky; Otto Porter, Georgetown; Phil Pressey, Missouri; Peyton Siva, Louisville; Michael Snaer, Florida State; Jeff Withey, Kansas.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 4
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)