Oct 30, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
In the fall, it was announced that the Duke men’s basketball team would receive iPads.
This innovation by Duke brought many advantages to the program, but the iPads aren’t just being used by the players, but now the team managers. According to a press release from the Duke athletics department, managers will tally stats onto an iPad following each practice to calculate each player’s Player Efficiency Rating (PER).
The Blue Devils will partner with SportsBoard Basketball Scout, to get stats instantly following practice.
“SportsBoard has been a nice addition to our program, ” Assistant head coach Steve Wojciechowski said in a press release. “Distributing PER reports to each player’s iPad at the end of practice provides immediate feedback, allowing them to identify their strengths and weaknesses from that practice and cumulatively for the season. The timeliness and efficiency of this feedback will be an excellent tool to help our guys grow and develop.”
This new idea comes from Duke manager, Scott Lamson, who interned at Basketball Scout’s developer, West Shore Technologies.
“We’re flattered and honored to have Duke Basketball as our partner,” said Gregg Jacobs, CEO and founder of West Shore in the release. “So many college and high school programs want to mimic Duke but don’t have the same staff resources; and now they can for PER reporting by letting SportsBoard automate tasks that staff would previously have to do.”
PER is a point system that rewards made shots, assists, rebounds, blocks, loose ball, and deflections with positive points and gives negative points to missed shots, turnovers, and fouls.
Duke, who starts No. 8 in the preseason AP poll, begins the season at home against Georgia State.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 2
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)