Oct 30, 2012, 9:27 PM EDT
If you struggle to beat Kentucky Wesleyan, how will you deal with Kentucky proper?
It’s a question Frank Martin may have pondered after he calmed down. The Panthers from Owensboro, KY tormented his nominally more talented SEC squad in Tuesday’s exhibition game, leading for much of the second half. In fact, Wesleyan was ahead by one point with seven seconds left in the game, forcing Martin’s team to drop in a buzzer-beater to avoid being LeMoyne’d.
It’s an exhibition game, so we’re not going to read too much into it, but a couple of interesting bits of info did come out of the game. First of all, Martin did not use the standard tactic used by BCS schools facing inferior opponents; he did not use his bench to run the Panthers ragged. Only seven Gamecocks saw action, paced by elevated reserve Brenton Williams, who scored 22 points on the night. Lakeem Jackson’s 10 boards were the most by an individual player, but Wesleyan snagged 35 boards overall to South Carolina’s 31, and outshot their hosts all over the floor.
Frank Martin knew he was accepting a challenge when he left Kansas State to take over the Gamecocks. The locker rooms are going to need a fresh coat of paint after this one, though. And practice is going to be hell.
Here’s the game stats from scacchoops.com (click to embiggen). Please note All Name worthy Mr. Walker for the Panthers:
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 8
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)