Oct 30, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner is in his mid-30’s, but he has paid his dues under a long-line of successful coaches, including Lute Olson, Kevin O’Neill and John Calipari.
However when Pastner talked to Arizona Daily Star’s Bruce Pascoe, the fourth-year head coach made sure to credit Arizona head coach Sean Miller with his offensive success.
Last season, the Tigers increased their scoring average, as well as field goal and 3-point shooting, which Pastner has credited to Miller’s motion style offense.
“Not only coach Olson and coach O’Neill but I’ve been influenced by Sean Miller,” Pastner told Pascoe. “I’ve spent a lot of time picking Sean’s brain from an offensive standpoint. Every summer, I’ve reached out and called him on the phone. I watched his DVDs from clinics. I’ve always loved his offensive stuff.”
Previously, Miller has stated (clip below) that he allows a lot of freedom in his motion style offense. The Arizona head coach said that he only runs a set play about 30 to 40 percent of the time, while facing a traditional man-to-man defense. The rest of the time the Wildcats run what Miller calls its “passing game.”
When set plays break down, Miller has the offense go back to the motion offense, which varies in how it runs from possession to possession. This allows his players to be creative and them feel and chemistry between his players improve over time.
Pastner said Miller’s motion offense is similar to Olson’s but said Miller’s “play after the play” schemes for what to do when a play breaks down are “genius.”
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)