Oct 30, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner is in his mid-30’s, but he has paid his dues under a long-line of successful coaches, including Lute Olson, Kevin O’Neill and John Calipari.
However when Pastner talked to Arizona Daily Star’s Bruce Pascoe, the fourth-year head coach made sure to credit Arizona head coach Sean Miller with his offensive success.
Last season, the Tigers increased their scoring average, as well as field goal and 3-point shooting, which Pastner has credited to Miller’s motion style offense.
“Not only coach Olson and coach O’Neill but I’ve been influenced by Sean Miller,” Pastner told Pascoe. “I’ve spent a lot of time picking Sean’s brain from an offensive standpoint. Every summer, I’ve reached out and called him on the phone. I watched his DVDs from clinics. I’ve always loved his offensive stuff.”
Previously, Miller has stated (clip below) that he allows a lot of freedom in his motion style offense. The Arizona head coach said that he only runs a set play about 30 to 40 percent of the time, while facing a traditional man-to-man defense. The rest of the time the Wildcats run what Miller calls its “passing game.”
When set plays break down, Miller has the offense go back to the motion offense, which varies in how it runs from possession to possession. This allows his players to be creative and them feel and chemistry between his players improve over time.
Pastner said Miller’s motion offense is similar to Olson’s but said Miller’s “play after the play” schemes for what to do when a play breaks down are “genius.”
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)