Oct 30, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner is in his mid-30’s, but he has paid his dues under a long-line of successful coaches, including Lute Olson, Kevin O’Neill and John Calipari.
However when Pastner talked to Arizona Daily Star’s Bruce Pascoe, the fourth-year head coach made sure to credit Arizona head coach Sean Miller with his offensive success.
Last season, the Tigers increased their scoring average, as well as field goal and 3-point shooting, which Pastner has credited to Miller’s motion style offense.
“Not only coach Olson and coach O’Neill but I’ve been influenced by Sean Miller,” Pastner told Pascoe. “I’ve spent a lot of time picking Sean’s brain from an offensive standpoint. Every summer, I’ve reached out and called him on the phone. I watched his DVDs from clinics. I’ve always loved his offensive stuff.”
Previously, Miller has stated (clip below) that he allows a lot of freedom in his motion style offense. The Arizona head coach said that he only runs a set play about 30 to 40 percent of the time, while facing a traditional man-to-man defense. The rest of the time the Wildcats run what Miller calls its “passing game.”
When set plays break down, Miller has the offense go back to the motion offense, which varies in how it runs from possession to possession. This allows his players to be creative and them feel and chemistry between his players improve over time.
Pastner said Miller’s motion offense is similar to Olson’s but said Miller’s “play after the play” schemes for what to do when a play breaks down are “genius.”
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)