Oct 31, 2012, 4:13 PM EST
Ohio State will begin the regular season as a top-five team and, in their final tune-up before their season opener, got a double-digit exhibition win over Walsh, 83-71, at Value City Arena in Columbus.
Junior forward DeShaun Thomas, expected to be a leader on this year’s Buckeye team after the departure of Jared Sullinger, scored 25 points Tuesday night in the victory.
“These players need a leader, someone who has been through the trenches and has fought those battles,” said Thomas. “Once Big Ten season starts rolling they will need a leader, and come December we need to be playing better and we will.”
In addition to Thomas’ output, forward LaQuinton Ross scored 13 points and grabbed five rebounds.
But, for a top-five team, head coach Thad Matta still has questions.
“This is the first team I’ve ever had that plays harder in practice than they did in the game. We couldn’t sustain runs on either end of the court,” said Matta. “We’ll have a lot to improve on.
“I have a really good feel for what I want this team to be. It is a team full of role players and at times we forced things a little bit but we’ll improve. “
The Buckeyes begin their season on Nov. 9 against Marquette.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)