Oct 31, 2012, 4:13 PM EDT
Ohio State will begin the regular season as a top-five team and, in their final tune-up before their season opener, got a double-digit exhibition win over Walsh, 83-71, at Value City Arena in Columbus.
Junior forward DeShaun Thomas, expected to be a leader on this year’s Buckeye team after the departure of Jared Sullinger, scored 25 points Tuesday night in the victory.
“These players need a leader, someone who has been through the trenches and has fought those battles,” said Thomas. “Once Big Ten season starts rolling they will need a leader, and come December we need to be playing better and we will.”
In addition to Thomas’ output, forward LaQuinton Ross scored 13 points and grabbed five rebounds.
But, for a top-five team, head coach Thad Matta still has questions.
“This is the first team I’ve ever had that plays harder in practice than they did in the game. We couldn’t sustain runs on either end of the court,” said Matta. “We’ll have a lot to improve on.
“I have a really good feel for what I want this team to be. It is a team full of role players and at times we forced things a little bit but we’ll improve. “
The Buckeyes begin their season on Nov. 9 against Marquette.
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)