Oct 31, 2012, 9:13 PM EST
On Wednesday afternoon, Michigan head coach John Beilein announced that his all-american point guard Trey Burke had been suspended for an exhibition game against Northern Michigan.
The cause for the suspension? A “violation of team standards.”
“We have high standards and values for our student-athletes and we expect everyone to meet those expectations,” Beilein said in a written statement. “Trey will sit out the first game as a result of some ‘out of character’ decisions he now regrets. We believe he has learned a valuable lesson and we are confident he will grow from this experience.”
One can only imagine that what Burke did wasn’t all that serious; he was only suspended for an exhibition and not for an actual game.
But it is noteable. There have been some concerns about a lack of leadership on this team, and if the all-american is willing to do something that gets himself suspended for a game, even an exhibition, it’s a red flag.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (8)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)