Oct 31, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
J.P. Olukemi was embroiled in one of the weirder eligibility appeals I’ve come across.
The high school that Olukemi was attending got shut down in the middle of a school year, so the coaches at the program sent him off to a Junior College to finish up that academic year. He never played basketball at the first JuCo he went to, transferring to a different JuCo where he began playing basketball.
But the way the NCAA rules work, his five-year clock — you have five years to use up four seasons of eligibility — started ticking when he enrolled at the first JuCo. Fast forward five years to this season, and Olukemi’s eligibility was scheduled to run out at the end of the first semester.
Luckily, it appears as if he got a waiver:
Oklahoma State's J.P. Olukemi's been granted full season waiver by NCAA. Big news for Cowboys, especially with Brian Williams done for year.—
Fran Fraschilla (@franfraschilla) October 31, 2012
This is huge news for the Pokes.
Marcus Smart and Le’Bryan Nash are a great 1-2 punch, but without a strong supporting cast, this team won’t go far. With Brian Williams already out for the year with a wrist injury, Oklahoma State couldn’t afford not having Olukemi the second half of the season.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)