Nov 1, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
The hiring of LSU alum Johnny Jones has proven to be a fruitful one of the Tigers on the recruiting trail, and the haul became even better on Thursday as power forward Jarell Martin verbally committed to attend the school.
Martin, whose list included Alabama, Louisville, Oklahoma State, St. John’s, Texas A&M and UCLA, announced his decision at Madison Prep in his hometown of Baton Rouge.
Keeping Martin in town was a priority for Jones from the moment he left North Texas to take the LSU, and the end result is the commitment of the state’s highest-ranked prospect nationally since Greg Monroe in 2008.
LSU’s 2013 class is now up to five players, as Martin joins wing Tim Quarterman, power forward Jordan Mickey and junior college transfers Deng Deng (power forward; Lee College) and John Odoh (center; Hill College).
Front court depth looks to be an issue for LSU heading into the 2012-13 season with Johnny O’Bryant III their lone key contributor back from last season’s team, and freshman Shane Hammink (son of former LSU center Geert Hammink) will need to contribute as well.
LSU won’t lack for talent or depth next season when this group arrives on campus, and the addition of a player as highly thought of as Martin bodes well for Jones’ program.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)