Nov 1, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
The hiring of LSU alum Johnny Jones has proven to be a fruitful one of the Tigers on the recruiting trail, and the haul became even better on Thursday as power forward Jarell Martin verbally committed to attend the school.
Martin, whose list included Alabama, Louisville, Oklahoma State, St. John’s, Texas A&M and UCLA, announced his decision at Madison Prep in his hometown of Baton Rouge.
Keeping Martin in town was a priority for Jones from the moment he left North Texas to take the LSU, and the end result is the commitment of the state’s highest-ranked prospect nationally since Greg Monroe in 2008.
LSU’s 2013 class is now up to five players, as Martin joins wing Tim Quarterman, power forward Jordan Mickey and junior college transfers Deng Deng (power forward; Lee College) and John Odoh (center; Hill College).
Front court depth looks to be an issue for LSU heading into the 2012-13 season with Johnny O’Bryant III their lone key contributor back from last season’s team, and freshman Shane Hammink (son of former LSU center Geert Hammink) will need to contribute as well.
LSU won’t lack for talent or depth next season when this group arrives on campus, and the addition of a player as highly thought of as Martin bodes well for Jones’ program.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)