Nov 1, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
The hiring of LSU alum Johnny Jones has proven to be a fruitful one of the Tigers on the recruiting trail, and the haul became even better on Thursday as power forward Jarell Martin verbally committed to attend the school.
Martin, whose list included Alabama, Louisville, Oklahoma State, St. John’s, Texas A&M and UCLA, announced his decision at Madison Prep in his hometown of Baton Rouge.
Keeping Martin in town was a priority for Jones from the moment he left North Texas to take the LSU, and the end result is the commitment of the state’s highest-ranked prospect nationally since Greg Monroe in 2008.
LSU’s 2013 class is now up to five players, as Martin joins wing Tim Quarterman, power forward Jordan Mickey and junior college transfers Deng Deng (power forward; Lee College) and John Odoh (center; Hill College).
Front court depth looks to be an issue for LSU heading into the 2012-13 season with Johnny O’Bryant III their lone key contributor back from last season’s team, and freshman Shane Hammink (son of former LSU center Geert Hammink) will need to contribute as well.
LSU won’t lack for talent or depth next season when this group arrives on campus, and the addition of a player as highly thought of as Martin bodes well for Jones’ program.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)