Nov 1, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
The hiring of LSU alum Johnny Jones has proven to be a fruitful one of the Tigers on the recruiting trail, and the haul became even better on Thursday as power forward Jarell Martin verbally committed to attend the school.
Martin, whose list included Alabama, Louisville, Oklahoma State, St. John’s, Texas A&M and UCLA, announced his decision at Madison Prep in his hometown of Baton Rouge.
Keeping Martin in town was a priority for Jones from the moment he left North Texas to take the LSU, and the end result is the commitment of the state’s highest-ranked prospect nationally since Greg Monroe in 2008.
LSU’s 2013 class is now up to five players, as Martin joins wing Tim Quarterman, power forward Jordan Mickey and junior college transfers Deng Deng (power forward; Lee College) and John Odoh (center; Hill College).
Front court depth looks to be an issue for LSU heading into the 2012-13 season with Johnny O’Bryant III their lone key contributor back from last season’s team, and freshman Shane Hammink (son of former LSU center Geert Hammink) will need to contribute as well.
LSU won’t lack for talent or depth next season when this group arrives on campus, and the addition of a player as highly thought of as Martin bodes well for Jones’ program.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)