Nov 1, 2012, 2:54 PM EST
The hiring of LSU alum Johnny Jones has proven to be a fruitful one of the Tigers on the recruiting trail, and the haul became even better on Thursday as power forward Jarell Martin verbally committed to attend the school.
Martin, whose list included Alabama, Louisville, Oklahoma State, St. John’s, Texas A&M and UCLA, announced his decision at Madison Prep in his hometown of Baton Rouge.
Keeping Martin in town was a priority for Jones from the moment he left North Texas to take the LSU, and the end result is the commitment of the state’s highest-ranked prospect nationally since Greg Monroe in 2008.
LSU’s 2013 class is now up to five players, as Martin joins wing Tim Quarterman, power forward Jordan Mickey and junior college transfers Deng Deng (power forward; Lee College) and John Odoh (center; Hill College).
Front court depth looks to be an issue for LSU heading into the 2012-13 season with Johnny O’Bryant III their lone key contributor back from last season’s team, and freshman Shane Hammink (son of former LSU center Geert Hammink) will need to contribute as well.
LSU won’t lack for talent or depth next season when this group arrives on campus, and the addition of a player as highly thought of as Martin bodes well for Jones’ program.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)