Nov 1, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
With Royce White now in the NBA, Iowa State needs veterans such as senior guard Chris Babb to step if the Cyclones are to return to the NCAA tournament.
Unfortunately for Babb his senior campaign isn’t off to the best start, as the school announced that head coach Fred Hoiberg has suspended for three games for a violation of team rules.
Babb will miss the Cyclones’ exhibition against Minnesota State and the regular season games against Southern and Alabama A&M.
Coach Hoiberg announced today that Chris Babb will miss the exhibition and the first 2 regular season games for a violation of team rules.—
Cyclone Basketball (@CycloneMBB) November 01, 2012
No comment from Hoiberg thus far on what triggered the move, but something like this can serve as a wake-up call to make sure things don’t get worse down the line.
Babb averaged 7.8 points and 4.1 rebounds per game last season, starting all 34 contests that he played in.
Iowa State lost their top three scorers from last season, and the hope is that players such as Babb and Tyrus McGee can step up alongside transfers Korie Lucious (Michigan State) and Will Clyburn (Utah) to make up for the loss of Scott Christopherson and Chris Allen on the perimeter.
The Cyclones also add freshmen Sherron Dorsey-Walker, Naz Long and Kerwin Okoro to the mix on the perimeter.
Iowa State will be fine in those two regular season games without Babb, and he’ll have a couple games under his belt before the Cyclones hit Las Vegas for the Global Vision Classic November 23 and 24 (Cincinnati, followed by either UNLV or Oregon).
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)