Nov 1, 2012, 8:24 PM EDT
NBC Sports has added an interesting piece to their coverage of the Navy-Marine Corps Classic: Stan Van Gundy.
The game, which will be played at 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 9th, on an aircraft carrier in Jacksonville, pits Georgetown against Florida and will be the first game shown on the NBC Sports Network this season.
It will also feature the former NBA head coach as a color commentator as he begins a new role with NBC; he’ll be a regular contributor on NBC sports radio.
Personally, I’m excited for this (and I’m not saying that simply because I write for CBT). Van Gundy is an outspoken, intelligent basketball mind. And he’s edgy. He’s not afraid to say something that may tick some people off, but he’s intelligent enough to back up those statements with factual arguments. We need more people like him on college basketball broadcasts.
USA Today sports media columnist Michael Hiestand refers to this as a “tryout” for Van Gundy. Hopefully, he earns a spot on more broadcasts.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)