Nov 1, 2012, 8:24 PM EDT
NBC Sports has added an interesting piece to their coverage of the Navy-Marine Corps Classic: Stan Van Gundy.
The game, which will be played at 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 9th, on an aircraft carrier in Jacksonville, pits Georgetown against Florida and will be the first game shown on the NBC Sports Network this season.
It will also feature the former NBA head coach as a color commentator as he begins a new role with NBC; he’ll be a regular contributor on NBC sports radio.
Personally, I’m excited for this (and I’m not saying that simply because I write for CBT). Van Gundy is an outspoken, intelligent basketball mind. And he’s edgy. He’s not afraid to say something that may tick some people off, but he’s intelligent enough to back up those statements with factual arguments. We need more people like him on college basketball broadcasts.
USA Today sports media columnist Michael Hiestand refers to this as a “tryout” for Van Gundy. Hopefully, he earns a spot on more broadcasts.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)