Nov 1, 2012, 8:24 PM EDT
NBC Sports has added an interesting piece to their coverage of the Navy-Marine Corps Classic: Stan Van Gundy.
The game, which will be played at 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 9th, on an aircraft carrier in Jacksonville, pits Georgetown against Florida and will be the first game shown on the NBC Sports Network this season.
It will also feature the former NBA head coach as a color commentator as he begins a new role with NBC; he’ll be a regular contributor on NBC sports radio.
Personally, I’m excited for this (and I’m not saying that simply because I write for CBT). Van Gundy is an outspoken, intelligent basketball mind. And he’s edgy. He’s not afraid to say something that may tick some people off, but he’s intelligent enough to back up those statements with factual arguments. We need more people like him on college basketball broadcasts.
USA Today sports media columnist Michael Hiestand refers to this as a “tryout” for Van Gundy. Hopefully, he earns a spot on more broadcasts.
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 0
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 4
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (11)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)