Nov 1, 2012, 8:24 PM EST
NBC Sports has added an interesting piece to their coverage of the Navy-Marine Corps Classic: Stan Van Gundy.
The game, which will be played at 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 9th, on an aircraft carrier in Jacksonville, pits Georgetown against Florida and will be the first game shown on the NBC Sports Network this season.
It will also feature the former NBA head coach as a color commentator as he begins a new role with NBC; he’ll be a regular contributor on NBC sports radio.
Personally, I’m excited for this (and I’m not saying that simply because I write for CBT). Van Gundy is an outspoken, intelligent basketball mind. And he’s edgy. He’s not afraid to say something that may tick some people off, but he’s intelligent enough to back up those statements with factual arguments. We need more people like him on college basketball broadcasts.
USA Today sports media columnist Michael Hiestand refers to this as a “tryout” for Van Gundy. Hopefully, he earns a spot on more broadcasts.
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 3
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 5
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)