Nov 1, 2012, 8:24 PM EDT
NBC Sports has added an interesting piece to their coverage of the Navy-Marine Corps Classic: Stan Van Gundy.
The game, which will be played at 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 9th, on an aircraft carrier in Jacksonville, pits Georgetown against Florida and will be the first game shown on the NBC Sports Network this season.
It will also feature the former NBA head coach as a color commentator as he begins a new role with NBC; he’ll be a regular contributor on NBC sports radio.
Personally, I’m excited for this (and I’m not saying that simply because I write for CBT). Van Gundy is an outspoken, intelligent basketball mind. And he’s edgy. He’s not afraid to say something that may tick some people off, but he’s intelligent enough to back up those statements with factual arguments. We need more people like him on college basketball broadcasts.
USA Today sports media columnist Michael Hiestand refers to this as a “tryout” for Van Gundy. Hopefully, he earns a spot on more broadcasts.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)