Nov 2, 2012, 2:33 PM EST
Already boasting a 2013 recruiting class that ranks among the best in the country, Marquette got even deeper as 6-4 shooting guard Jajuan Johnson verbally committed to the school as reported by Jerry Meyer of 247Sports.
Johnson, who attends Southwind High School in Memphis, picked the Golden Eagles over Alabama and Miami.
Johnson fits right in with Marquette’s style of play, and he’ll give the Golden Eagles another attack-minded guard when he arrives on campus.
Marquette already has verbal commitments from guards Duane Wilson and John Dawson, wing Deonte Burton and Indian Hills JC power forward Jameel McKay.
Johnson and company will join a backcourt that has just two seniors this season, point guard Junior Cadougan and shooting guard Trent Lockett.
Vander Blue will be a senior next season while Todd Mayo and Derrick Wilson will be juniors, and 6-4 Jamal Ferguson will be a sophomore.
The Golden Eagles have been a very consistent program since joining the Big East in 2005, failing to finish in the top five of the standings just once (2010-11) and reaching the NCAA tournament every year (overall Marquette has gone to the tournament eight straight years).
But the question, with the conference once again going through realignment after this season, is whether or not Buzz Williams’ program can take the next step and win a Big East title.
With the work that Marquette has done on the recruiting trail with this 2013 group, that could very well happen in the near future.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Team 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 0
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (2)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (2)