Nov 2, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT
Already boasting a 2013 recruiting class that ranks among the best in the country, Marquette got even deeper as 6-4 shooting guard Jajuan Johnson verbally committed to the school as reported by Jerry Meyer of 247Sports.
Johnson, who attends Southwind High School in Memphis, picked the Golden Eagles over Alabama and Miami.
Johnson fits right in with Marquette’s style of play, and he’ll give the Golden Eagles another attack-minded guard when he arrives on campus.
Marquette already has verbal commitments from guards Duane Wilson and John Dawson, wing Deonte Burton and Indian Hills JC power forward Jameel McKay.
Johnson and company will join a backcourt that has just two seniors this season, point guard Junior Cadougan and shooting guard Trent Lockett.
Vander Blue will be a senior next season while Todd Mayo and Derrick Wilson will be juniors, and 6-4 Jamal Ferguson will be a sophomore.
The Golden Eagles have been a very consistent program since joining the Big East in 2005, failing to finish in the top five of the standings just once (2010-11) and reaching the NCAA tournament every year (overall Marquette has gone to the tournament eight straight years).
But the question, with the conference once again going through realignment after this season, is whether or not Buzz Williams’ program can take the next step and win a Big East title.
With the work that Marquette has done on the recruiting trail with this 2013 group, that could very well happen in the near future.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)