Nov 2, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT
Already boasting a 2013 recruiting class that ranks among the best in the country, Marquette got even deeper as 6-4 shooting guard Jajuan Johnson verbally committed to the school as reported by Jerry Meyer of 247Sports.
Johnson, who attends Southwind High School in Memphis, picked the Golden Eagles over Alabama and Miami.
Johnson fits right in with Marquette’s style of play, and he’ll give the Golden Eagles another attack-minded guard when he arrives on campus.
Marquette already has verbal commitments from guards Duane Wilson and John Dawson, wing Deonte Burton and Indian Hills JC power forward Jameel McKay.
Johnson and company will join a backcourt that has just two seniors this season, point guard Junior Cadougan and shooting guard Trent Lockett.
Vander Blue will be a senior next season while Todd Mayo and Derrick Wilson will be juniors, and 6-4 Jamal Ferguson will be a sophomore.
The Golden Eagles have been a very consistent program since joining the Big East in 2005, failing to finish in the top five of the standings just once (2010-11) and reaching the NCAA tournament every year (overall Marquette has gone to the tournament eight straight years).
But the question, with the conference once again going through realignment after this season, is whether or not Buzz Williams’ program can take the next step and win a Big East title.
With the work that Marquette has done on the recruiting trail with this 2013 group, that could very well happen in the near future.
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 0
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 4
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (11)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)