Nov 2, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
Los Angeles has teams with two very different outlooks coming into the 2012-13 season.
On one hand, UCLA is looking for a Pac-12 title with blue-chip prospects Kyle Anderson and the yet-to-be-cleared Shabazz Muhammad.
On the other is USC, coming off a 6-26 season under coach Kevin O’Neill, which included a 1-17 mark in the conference. The Trojans played with six scholarship players after widespread injuries, a bug that hit Dewayne Dedmon, Aaron Fuller, and Jio Fontan.
But now USC is looking to fight back, back from setting a school record losses in a season and finishing 343rd in the country by putting up 53 points per game.
Much of that fighting back will start with Fontan, the former Fordham guard who has sat out the majority of the past two seasons because of transfer rules and a torn ACL.
“We’re just flipping the page, starting a new chapter and trying to take advantage of this,” Fontan told the Associated Press. “We’ve got a lot of guys who only have one year left and we all have the same goal – win big.”
Academic reasons were going to keep returning leading scorer Maurice Jones out of the 2012-13, but he has chosen to transfer to Iowa State.
That leaves J.T. Terrell and Byron Wesley to join Fontan in the backcourt, along with the return of Fuller and Dedmon in the frontcourt.
“We’re here to prove that we’re better than a six-win team, so we’re just going to come out with a lot of intensity,” Dedmon said. “It’s definitely important to have Jio back as a leader on and off the court because he’s a big-time player.”
The Trojans open their season on Nov. 9 against Coppin State.
May 29, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Dai-Jon Parker played this past season at the University of Indianapolis.
May 28, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Fred Hoiberg’s status has impacted recruiting in multiple cases for Iowa State this spring.
May 28, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Big 12 tournaments held at the Sprint Center have averaged more than 18,000 fans per session.
May 28, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
Each team will have three “permanent” opponents they’re guaranteed to play twice every season.
May 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Video surfaced showing that Alie-Cox wasn’t involved in the incident, contradicting a woman’s claim that he punched her in the face.
May 28, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
UConn’s now added three transfers to the program this spring, two of whom will be eligible immediately as graduate students.
May 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Foster led Clemson to their only Elite 8 appearance in program history.
May 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Paige went to high school an hour from UNI’s campus.
May 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Iowa State fans shouldn’t freak out too much.
May 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Dellavedova was a star with the Gaels before he became this year’s NBA Playoff star.
May 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Byers created the term “student-athlete” and first sold TV rights for NCAA broadcasts, but later wrote a book blasting the NCAA for exploiting athletes.
May 28, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
This is a step in the right direction by the Big 12.
May 27, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that Sherman is no fan of the NCAA.
May 27, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The shot clock won’t have as much of an impact on offenses as lessening the physicality of the game.
May 27, 2015, 7:31 PM EDT
The 6-foot-11 center was originally expected to attend prep school before joining Memphis in 2016.
May 27, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 southpaw showed off his arm, and was accurate in doing so.
May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Matthews is the recruit everyone forgets about.
May 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
That numbers is half what it was in 2015.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Self and his wife created the Assists Foundation.
May 27, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Reed broke a cop’s finger while resisting a shoplifting arrest.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)