Nov 3, 2012, 9:53 AM EST
After assistant Derek Thomas resigned earlier this week, it appears that Horizon League contender Detroit Mercy could have lost another Friday, the Detroit Free Press is reporting.
According to the report, sixth-year assistant Carlos Briggs did not attend practice on Thursday or Friday and both school officials and Briggs himself would not comment on his status.
Briggs has been with the team since coming over from Schoolcraft College (Mich.) in 2006 where he had been serving as the head coach. He amassed an overall record of 249-39 while at the school, leading the team to the junior college Final Four in 2001.
In his time with Detroit Mercy, he was primarily a recruiter and player development coach, focusing on the Titans’ backcourt. That backcourt includes Ray McCallum Jr., a former McDonald’s All-American, the preseason Horizon League Player of the Year, and son of UDM coach Ray McCallum, Sr.
The Titans are picked to finish second in the Horizon League this season, expected to challenge favorite Valparaiso for the conference title.
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)