Nov 3, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
After assistant Derek Thomas resigned earlier this week, it appears that Horizon League contender Detroit Mercy could have lost another Friday, the Detroit Free Press is reporting.
According to the report, sixth-year assistant Carlos Briggs did not attend practice on Thursday or Friday and both school officials and Briggs himself would not comment on his status.
Briggs has been with the team since coming over from Schoolcraft College (Mich.) in 2006 where he had been serving as the head coach. He amassed an overall record of 249-39 while at the school, leading the team to the junior college Final Four in 2001.
In his time with Detroit Mercy, he was primarily a recruiter and player development coach, focusing on the Titans’ backcourt. That backcourt includes Ray McCallum Jr., a former McDonald’s All-American, the preseason Horizon League Player of the Year, and son of UDM coach Ray McCallum, Sr.
The Titans are picked to finish second in the Horizon League this season, expected to challenge favorite Valparaiso for the conference title.
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 3
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (8)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)