Nov 3, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
After trailing at halftime, Maryland got a scare from Division II IUP on Friday night before storming back for a 73-61 victory in College Park.
“We knew it was going to be a good game,” said coach Mark Turgeon. “We did a lot of good things in the second half, but I was a little disappointed with our physicality. I thought we played soft in the post, both offensively and defensively.”
Guard Seth Allen, part of Maryland’s strong freshman class, scored 16 points and added five assists, while sophomore Nick Faust added 13 points.
Much of the focus for Maryland this season will be on the development of big man Alex Len, who finished with eight points, six rebounds, and four blocks on Friday night.
“Defensively at times he was really good..Other times he wasn’t as good. He played a little softer than he’s been playing,” said Turgeon. “If he is going to play that many minutes he is going to have to get more rebounds for us. But during the second half he was a presence on the rim and settled in.”
The Terrapins now look forward to their season opener against defending national champion Kentucky, a game set to take place on Nov. 9 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
“I feel we’re ready for Kentucky. It’s next week, we have a whole week of practice until then,” said Allen. “We’re just going to play as hard as we can and bring that to the game.”
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)