Nov 3, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
Texas A&M freshman Shawn Smith has been ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA, Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com is reporting.
The ruling means that Smith will be able to practice but not play for the Aggies this season.
Smith, a 6-4, 180-pound guard from Jacksonville, Fla., was at one time or another committed to Missouri and Central Florida before choosing the Aggies. He is part of a five-man 2012 recruiting class for head coach Billy Kennedy.
Now without Smith, Texas A&M will look to newcomers J-Mychal Reese, Alex Caruso, Fabyon Harris, and Andrew Young for production.
Kennedy and the Aggies will be without second-leading scorer Khris Middleton, who has turned pro, which puts more on the shoulders of Elston Turner, who averaged 13.6 points per game last season.
The 2012-13 season also marks the first for Texas A&M in the SEC, having moved from the Big 12 in the offseason. The Aggies were chosen to finish fifth in the conference’s preseason coaches’ poll.
Texas A&M begins its season on Nov. 9 against Louisiana Tech.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 5
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)