Nov 4, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Just two weeks after Syracuse offered him a scholarship, former Indiana signee and current Brewster Academy guard Ron Patterson committed to the Orange.
Patterson, a 6-2, 195-pound native of Indiana, was set to be a freshman with the Hoosiers this fall, but despite being cleared by the NCAA, did not academically qualify at the school. Patterson’s departure put Indiana under the 13-player scholarship limit.
That’s when he decided to attend Brewster and reopen his recruitment where, according to the Post-Standard, Syracuse assistant Gerry McNamara took an interest in him.
A scholarship offer quickly followed, then a visit to campus, then a commitment Saturday, as reported by the Post-Standard.
Patterson becomes the fourth commit for coach Jim Boeheim and Syracuse, following point guard Tyler Ennis, forward B.J. Johnson, and center Chinonso Obokoh.
After signing with Indiana, Hoosiers’ coach Tom Crean had high praise for Patterson.
“He’s got a motor that’s second to none,” Crean said. “His hustle, his energy, especially on the defensive end, his desire to get to the basket.
“Now, getting the skills and the fundamentals and all of those things inside that motor, decision making, that’s the things he has to continue to work on.”
Also in the mix for Patterson’s commitment were Boston College, Xavier, Providence, Miami, SMU, and Connecticut.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)