Nov 4, 2012, 9:42 AM EST
Just two weeks after Syracuse offered him a scholarship, former Indiana signee and current Brewster Academy guard Ron Patterson committed to the Orange.
Patterson, a 6-2, 195-pound native of Indiana, was set to be a freshman with the Hoosiers this fall, but despite being cleared by the NCAA, did not academically qualify at the school. Patterson’s departure put Indiana under the 13-player scholarship limit.
That’s when he decided to attend Brewster and reopen his recruitment where, according to the Post-Standard, Syracuse assistant Gerry McNamara took an interest in him.
A scholarship offer quickly followed, then a visit to campus, then a commitment Saturday, as reported by the Post-Standard.
Patterson becomes the fourth commit for coach Jim Boeheim and Syracuse, following point guard Tyler Ennis, forward B.J. Johnson, and center Chinonso Obokoh.
After signing with Indiana, Hoosiers’ coach Tom Crean had high praise for Patterson.
“He’s got a motor that’s second to none,” Crean said. “His hustle, his energy, especially on the defensive end, his desire to get to the basket.
“Now, getting the skills and the fundamentals and all of those things inside that motor, decision making, that’s the things he has to continue to work on.”
Also in the mix for Patterson’s commitment were Boston College, Xavier, Providence, Miami, SMU, and Connecticut.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 5
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)