Nov 4, 2012, 9:42 AM EST
Just two weeks after Syracuse offered him a scholarship, former Indiana signee and current Brewster Academy guard Ron Patterson committed to the Orange.
Patterson, a 6-2, 195-pound native of Indiana, was set to be a freshman with the Hoosiers this fall, but despite being cleared by the NCAA, did not academically qualify at the school. Patterson’s departure put Indiana under the 13-player scholarship limit.
That’s when he decided to attend Brewster and reopen his recruitment where, according to the Post-Standard, Syracuse assistant Gerry McNamara took an interest in him.
A scholarship offer quickly followed, then a visit to campus, then a commitment Saturday, as reported by the Post-Standard.
Patterson becomes the fourth commit for coach Jim Boeheim and Syracuse, following point guard Tyler Ennis, forward B.J. Johnson, and center Chinonso Obokoh.
After signing with Indiana, Hoosiers’ coach Tom Crean had high praise for Patterson.
“He’s got a motor that’s second to none,” Crean said. “His hustle, his energy, especially on the defensive end, his desire to get to the basket.
“Now, getting the skills and the fundamentals and all of those things inside that motor, decision making, that’s the things he has to continue to work on.”
Also in the mix for Patterson’s commitment were Boston College, Xavier, Providence, Miami, SMU, and Connecticut.
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)