Nov 4, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Just two weeks after Syracuse offered him a scholarship, former Indiana signee and current Brewster Academy guard Ron Patterson committed to the Orange.
Patterson, a 6-2, 195-pound native of Indiana, was set to be a freshman with the Hoosiers this fall, but despite being cleared by the NCAA, did not academically qualify at the school. Patterson’s departure put Indiana under the 13-player scholarship limit.
That’s when he decided to attend Brewster and reopen his recruitment where, according to the Post-Standard, Syracuse assistant Gerry McNamara took an interest in him.
A scholarship offer quickly followed, then a visit to campus, then a commitment Saturday, as reported by the Post-Standard.
Patterson becomes the fourth commit for coach Jim Boeheim and Syracuse, following point guard Tyler Ennis, forward B.J. Johnson, and center Chinonso Obokoh.
After signing with Indiana, Hoosiers’ coach Tom Crean had high praise for Patterson.
“He’s got a motor that’s second to none,” Crean said. “His hustle, his energy, especially on the defensive end, his desire to get to the basket.
“Now, getting the skills and the fundamentals and all of those things inside that motor, decision making, that’s the things he has to continue to work on.”
Also in the mix for Patterson’s commitment were Boston College, Xavier, Providence, Miami, SMU, and Connecticut.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)