Nov 4, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Two-plus years ago (January 2010) Kentucky head coach John Calipari organized a telethon to help out those affected by the earthquake that ravaged Haiti.
On Wednesday night Calipari and the Kentucky program will do the same, as players will work the phones to raise proceeds to help those in the Northeast who were hit hard by Superstorm Sandy.
According to Calipari donations made by callers will be matched, and 100% of the proceeds raised will go directly to the Sandy relief efforts.
“We’ve got some great ideas of things to either bid on or give this amount of money,” said Calipari during the announcement according to the Associated Press.
“When we did it with Haiti, 70,000 calls came in and we couldn’t take them all. We could only take 2,000. So we’re going to hope to have it so that whoever calls in, that phone will be answered somewhere. This was devastating.”
According to the school release the telethon, which runs from 7 to 8 PM EST on Wednesday, will air on affiliates of the UK/IMG Sports Network as well as online at WKYT.com.
And maybe this telethon will supply a ligher moment like this one involving former Wildcat DeMarcus Cousins during the Hoops for Haiti telethon.
For those who would like to donate at any time, the American Red Cross is accepting donations as well.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy