Nov 4, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Two-plus years ago (January 2010) Kentucky head coach John Calipari organized a telethon to help out those affected by the earthquake that ravaged Haiti.
On Wednesday night Calipari and the Kentucky program will do the same, as players will work the phones to raise proceeds to help those in the Northeast who were hit hard by Superstorm Sandy.
According to Calipari donations made by callers will be matched, and 100% of the proceeds raised will go directly to the Sandy relief efforts.
“We’ve got some great ideas of things to either bid on or give this amount of money,” said Calipari during the announcement according to the Associated Press.
“When we did it with Haiti, 70,000 calls came in and we couldn’t take them all. We could only take 2,000. So we’re going to hope to have it so that whoever calls in, that phone will be answered somewhere. This was devastating.”
According to the school release the telethon, which runs from 7 to 8 PM EST on Wednesday, will air on affiliates of the UK/IMG Sports Network as well as online at WKYT.com.
And maybe this telethon will supply a ligher moment like this one involving former Wildcat DeMarcus Cousins during the Hoops for Haiti telethon.
For those who would like to donate at any time, the American Red Cross is accepting donations as well.
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)