Nov 4, 2012, 8:48 PM EST
Two-plus years ago (January 2010) Kentucky head coach John Calipari organized a telethon to help out those affected by the earthquake that ravaged Haiti.
On Wednesday night Calipari and the Kentucky program will do the same, as players will work the phones to raise proceeds to help those in the Northeast who were hit hard by Superstorm Sandy.
According to Calipari donations made by callers will be matched, and 100% of the proceeds raised will go directly to the Sandy relief efforts.
“We’ve got some great ideas of things to either bid on or give this amount of money,” said Calipari during the announcement according to the Associated Press.
“When we did it with Haiti, 70,000 calls came in and we couldn’t take them all. We could only take 2,000. So we’re going to hope to have it so that whoever calls in, that phone will be answered somewhere. This was devastating.”
According to the school release the telethon, which runs from 7 to 8 PM EST on Wednesday, will air on affiliates of the UK/IMG Sports Network as well as online at WKYT.com.
And maybe this telethon will supply a ligher moment like this one involving former Wildcat DeMarcus Cousins during the Hoops for Haiti telethon.
For those who would like to donate at any time, the American Red Cross is accepting donations as well.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)